Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

another set of tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default another set of tires

About a month ago I punctured the sidewall of my Carlisle ACTs.

The next morning a good friend of mine brought me over a near new (still had the nubs on them) set of Carlisle Bad Land tires.

I am unimpressed with these tires. I am surprised at the poor traction they provide on hard packed dirt trails and have no traction at all on wet or more slippery surfaces.

IMO if you're headed for the bad lands leave your Bad Land tires home.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not tryna be smart but ever heard of itp or maxxis? Expensive but worth every penny!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DJTSUNAMI
Not tryna be smart but ever heard of itp or maxxis? Expensive but worth every penny!
I wore out a set of Big Horns, no more for me.

They are heavy and I didn't care for the way they handled on hard packed trails, they were terrible at speed cornering, they loved to drift sideways.

I know of a manufacture that is dropping the Big Horn tires on some of their ATVs because they have realized they are not as good as most people think they are.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

O BIG HORN iMISS READ THE POST THOUGHT THEY WAS GENERIC TIRES.iHAVE MAXXIS RAZR2 WITH A PLUG IN EACH THERE HOLDING UP,RECENTLY BOUGHT AMBUSH TIRES TILL iCAN SAVE UP FOR ITP RIMS/TIRES LOVE LOVE LOVE THE GNCC'S HAD THEM ON MY 250EX GETTING THEM FOR MY 400EX (ALONG WITH ALOT OF OTHER MODS)

Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Specta

You mave have to face there's maybe no tires made you can't wreck.LOL

Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Specta

You mave have to face there's maybe no tires made you can't wreck.LOL
Ain't that the truth!!! We can call him Specta Destroyer of Tires!!! We can make a movie! With several follow ups afterwards.

I see where my confusion over what tires you have on your quad is coming from. The X pattern on the side of the Badlands looks just like ITP ATRs. Grippy but prone to flats in our experience so far. ITP Bajacross might be worth a look. I've used my ITP Mudlite XTRs in every type of terrain available from soft sand to ice and snow and I haven't noticed any slip other than when I goose it on purpose in a corner. Got a good deal on eBay.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

double post

Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

You guys are too good to me!! LOL

I know I'm the oddball but IMO those ACTs were the best "all around tire" that I have had so far. I was shocked! Shocked I'm tellin ya!! at how well they did in the snow and how much quicker they responded in turns over my Big Horns. I was 100% convinced that I was going to buy another set of Big Horns until my friend talked me into trying the ACTs, I was very skeptic but I remembered how well they did in the snow on the 800 Outlander Max so I gave in. It has been very hard for me to look at things with an open mind (I know none of you believe I have on open mind).

I was unimpressed looking at them but they worked good for me, until someone wrecked'um. LOL

Big Horns have to be one of the best looking tires out there, how could you not like them?? I loved mine.
I also liked that they were non-directional tires so I could rotate them. I had about 5000 miles on them when I took them off.

One of the things that make the ACTs grip is they are made of a softer rubber compound that has a tendency to grip better, the Big Horns are hard. The Big Horns will last twice as long but I'll take the grip over the longevity, kind of like taking stability over a smooth ride.

It's all about what works best for you.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

They do make the ACTs in a 6 ply if I remember right. It might not be as soft as you'd like though.

Quick Reply: another set of tires