Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

accident...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default accident...

so i hosted a big 'atv bash' this weekend at my place, we had about 13 friends riding. found some mud, that was fun. great weather and all, but it wasnt all pretty. while convoying to another location, i noticed a crack on my front left fender. next thing i know, i smash into the rider in front of me with my rubicon, launching him backwards and his kfx450r forward and into some barrel rolls. was going around 35 at time of impact. rider broke his wrist but is otherwise okay (safety speech: we were both wearing helmets, and it paid off). the kfx450 only has minor scratches and the rear handlebar that sticks out by the seat bend a little. no cracked plastic and the damn thing fired up. my rubicon's front end looked totaled at first glance, but upon further inspection the front bumper piece took the majority of the jolt, and no visible machanical damage.

i tore the front end apart and will order the damaged parts online, easy fix really. my main concern at this point is: the sudden change of speed from the impact of the accident. could this have caused internal damage to the hydrostatic transmission? i checked the oil, and it is fine. rode the rubi home (about 45 min ride, 10 - 15 miles or so i'd guess) and it acted completely fine, no symtoms of any damage or any unusual noises. anything i should keep an eye out for?

Old 07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done the same thing with my Rincon was blasting through a sand dune with a buddy I looked down at the speedo for 1 sec looked up and he had stopped BAM! I rolled sideways bent my rack to crap and some bumper crap bent .. I bought a new rack and bent it all back good as new. He flew forward did like 3 flips i didnt even know that was possible!!! Only bent the rear rack gotta love hondas LOL luckily noone was hurt but it is scary you could really hurt yourself crashing like that. I wouldnt worry about any engine damage.. it's the broken wrist thats a bummer ohh well that stuff happens out on these things.. heck i'd rather go wheeling and break my damn neck than go to work for the day hehehe

Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd say the only thing to worry about is if it develops abnormal vibrations due to bearing issues or other alignment issues. bearings are made to thrust "X" amount. you know your machine well enough to feel/hear/sense it. it should be fine. they're built tough. starting/stopping, engineers keep that in mind. but just in case, keep an eye/ear peeled on the quad. sorry to hear about the injury! could've been worse without the helmets.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

I think you will feel it right away if there are engine issues. If there wasn't any, then good. But Im pretty sure there will be issues in the alignment though.

Good thing you guys are safe and got away with a minor injury. Gotta love those helmets. Stay safe. Cheers!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

the rubi drives straight as an arrow. i think i got lucky....

Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

An accident is a specific, unidentifiable, unexpected, unusual and unintended external action which occurs in a particular time and place, with no apparent and deliberate cause but with marked effects

Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by williams8899
An accident is a specific, unidentifiable, unexpected, unusual and unintended external action which occurs in a particular time and place, with no apparent and deliberate cause but with marked effects

In essence, nobody wants it to happen.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

rode the rubi home (about 45 min ride, 10 - 15 miles or so i'd guess) and it acted completely fine, no symtoms of any damage or any unusual noises
I think your fine,you just have cosmetic issues.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
I think your fine,you just have cosmetic issues.
thanks to cyclepartsnation.com and my dad for the craftsman tool set he gave me, the total repairs (all cosmetic) will be about $240...not bad at all.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Always keep a good gap between you and the next ATV in line,I know people who would brake hard and fast for a frog hopping accross the trail. LOL

Quick Reply: accident...