Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hard starting Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having a very hard time starting my Rubicon in cold weather. In December I tried starting it one morning to go hunting and it took over 5 minutes to get it started. I kept pushing the primer with a stick to get it started and it finally took off. After the hunting season I took a close look and noticed the choke cable was froze up so I cleaned and greased it and it works fine now. I kept the Rubicon in the heated garage for 5 weeks and when I went out to start it one day I still had to fight with it to get it started. It took a couple of minutes and some playing with the primer button to get it started but I finally got it going. I let it run for about 20 minutes and then parked it back out in the cold. I went out yesterday and again it would not start until after about 2 or 3 minutes. Is any one else having this problem? I noticed when it does finally start that I have to keep playing with the throttle to keep it running, if I let go of the throttle it usually starts running rough and eventually dies out. I have seen post about adjusting the carb to make it run leaner, is this my problem and how do would you go about adjusting it? Also, can someone tell me exactly how to take the freeplay out of the throttle cable?

Old 03-05-2001, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like your hard starting problem may be flooding rather then lack of fuel. The primer is only for extreme cold conditions.
First of all before you make any adjustments try this:
1- Turn key on for 30sec to 1 min. before trying to start. (the Rubicon, Rancher and Foreman450 have an electric carb heater)
2- Pull choke all the way out.
3- Start
4- Let run with the choke on.
5- As soon as it starts to run rough, push the choke in.
There should be NO need to use the primer at all, unless it is -45 degrees.

If this does not work I strongly suggest you take your machine to the dealer and have them set it up properly. I have had my 450 for two winters up North here and have yet to use the primer. Again, the primer button is only for extreme cold!

Old 03-05-2001, 03:40 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

mine also gave me a tad of finikeyness ( if thats a word ) in 25 degree weather, I just started it on full choke and slowly pushed choke in until it ran smooth. But i had to hold the throttle a tad for a min or so.

Old 03-05-2001, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with rockhopper. More than likely you're flooding it. I have had no problems starting mine at -25 below temperatures. The only thing I do differently is I keep the carb heater on for Maybe 3-5 minutes. It starts with just a quick tap of the electric start.

Old 03-05-2001, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Well I dont have the temperatures that yall have but mine was running way rich. Once I changed the jetting it starts up fine now.

Old 03-05-2001, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think flooding is my problem. I always start by pulling out the choke and cranking it over for a minute or two. If it doesn't start after that I start playing with the primer button. It will usually start after that for about 5 seconds or so and then kills again or it will run as long as I hold the throttle open, but when I let go even after 20 or 30 seconds it dies back out and wont start again until I prime it again. After a few attempts at this it is usually warm enough to run on its own but it runs rough. After using it for 10 minutes or so it seems to run fine.

Old 03-05-2001, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

If you pull the choke and crank for a minute or two it will be flooded at that point. That is why it is hard to keep it running once it does start. It should fire right up. If it doesn't fire up after the first couple cranks something is wrong. It is very hard on the starter to keep cranking like that. Try this ..... pull the choke ..... turn the engine over a few times ...... now pull the spark plug and see if it is wet. If it's dry your choke needs to be set up, if it's wet you're flooding.

Old 03-07-2001, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

Who shuts off the gas when parking their machine?

Could this be related to the problem? I never shut off the gas and I have never had a problem. Maybe it is not a flooding problem or a choke problem but a fuel delivery problem.

Even on the coldest days, I turn on the ignition, pull the choke out all the way and crank it over. If the engine turns over three times before it fires I would be surprised. Then as soon as it starts I start pushing in the choke until the idle speed comes down a little, this is usually around half way. I let it idle like that for about 3 minutes on a cold day then keep pushing in the choke until it bottoms and the engine keeps running. Let it idle for about 5 minutes to heat up the oil and away I go. They say, as least with the Rubicon, not to let the engine idle choked for too long, because you can cause cylinder wall damage. I always make sure that as soon as it will stay running, I turn the choke off.

It is funny though, different people have different theories on how to choke an engine to get it started.

Old 03-07-2001, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

i had the exzact same problim with my rancher it was because a bur on the choke cable cut the seal at the end and it keept sticking open or freezing shutit had gotten water in the cable.

Old 03-07-2001, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem with my Rubicon.I found that the starting enrichment (Choke) cable had water in it.
Remove the cable from the carb when it is warm.I remove mine when it was cold and the spring broke into little pieces from the ice.
I haven't figured out how the water got in but I sprayed silicone at the top and bottom of cable once it was back together. I haven't had any trouble since,even after washing it and letting it sleep in cold garage.
Good luck, let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Hard starting Rubicon