Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

'03 300 ex axle replacement & re-assembly

Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 300 ex axle replacement & re-assembly

My bearing carrier is pooched, so i had the pleasure of removing the axle. Bearings were siezed on it. I didn't realize that Honda pressed the sprocket holder onto the axle. I can see a circlip inside so I was wailing away trying to get it off, and trying to pry it out. Funny thing is, they show the circlip on their parts diagram. I don't think it's removable, despite seeing it mounted on splines.

Anyways, the inner edge of that sprocket holder is very grooved. I thought it was the inner race of the bearing, or something from the bearing carrier. So I tried chiselling it off and also tried a couple of zip-disc cuts. Now I think I should have left it alone.

So does that sprocket holder actually ride against the bearing carrier, or anything else? Are deep grooves in it normal, or how did mine get so grooved? Can I weld onto the parts I cut, and just clean it up? Should I replace it ?(OUCH!! expensive!!)

Also, during re-assembly, it looks like there are a few o-rings I need to replace?? Anything else I should do? There was a lot of stuff to remove, so i want to get it right. Does anyone have a PDF of the repair manual, and could maybe just email me the axle removal/re-install pages ( i know the whole manual is too big to email)??

What about re-tightening the 2 big nuts? I know there is a circlip there I have to re-install, but what's the procedure for tightening/torquing this properly? This is the wierdest axle configuration I've seen, does any other mfrer use this style of set up?

A lot of Qs I know, so thanks for any input or knowledge you can share.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to own one but gone now. But the sprocket holder is part of the axle. I hope you didn't ruin it. But if you did, you may be able to weld it. I don't remember if the inner side of that rides on an O ring or not. But if it does, you can still weld it as long as you clean it up so it is flat again.

Yes, there are alot of O rings etc on a rear bearing job. Rocky Mtn. ATV sells the bearings as a kit which includes all the things you need to replace. Those big nuts are very tight. I used two big pipe wrenches. Be careful you don't mangle them too much.

Get a service manual. You can download one from several sites. Clymer or Honda. They are both good for that bike.