now that the clutch cover is off

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default now that the clutch cover is off

2003 trx 350 foot shift

ok so the clutch cover is off...
the adjusting screw was actually screwed all the way in, so it was jammed .
no wonder i couldnt screw it in any further!!
so the way i see it ....it shifted like crap the way it was so logically...had it been screwed in the other direction it would have been pushing the internal plate tighter against the three little ball bearings on that shifter plate or whatever you call it so it should have shifted better?... that being said on the outside of the cover it says that turning the screw in that direction will decrease something...
DECREASE WHAT???? the free play on the pedal?...the clutch pressure??
so if i turn it in the direction of the decrease arrow, it should be easier to shift ,because there will be less free play in the lever therefore when i lift up on the pedal it should ( IN THEORY ) disengage the clutch more making it easier to engage the next gear??? yes?? no ???
i have searched up and down high and low through all the old posts on here for a proper explanation to this adjustment business and still cant get an exact explanation...
i know they say a quarter turn in after slight resistance is felt but i think that depends on the individual machine??
although i have read that some guys say more than a quarter turn is better??.........so anyway i am still confused but i guess i have to wait for the new adjusting screw to come in before i can put this thing back together again...a week or so ....any advice or other explanations out there??
Dan.......

Old 09-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post now with the clutch cover is off

Originally Posted by Roseau River Rat
2003 trx 350 foot shift

ok so the clutch cover is off...
the adjusting screw was actually screwed all the way in, so it was jammed .
no wonder i couldnt screw it in any further!!
so the way i see it ....it shifted like crap the way it was so logically...had it been screwed in the other direction it would have been pushing the internal plate tighter against the three little ball bearings on that shifter plate or whatever you call it so it should have shifted better?... that being said on the outside of the cover it says that turning the screw in that direction will decrease something...
DECREASE WHAT???? the free play on the pedal?...the clutch pressure??
so if i turn it in the direction of the decrease arrow, it should be easier to shift ,because there will be less free play in the lever therefore when i lift up on the pedal it should ( IN THEORY ) disengage the clutch more making it easier to engage the next gear??? yes?? no ???
i have searched up and down high and low through all the old posts on here for a proper explanation to this adjustment business and still cant get an exact explanation...
i know they say a quarter turn in after slight resistance is felt but i think that depends on the individual machine??
although i have read that some guys say more than a quarter turn is better??.........so anyway i am still confused but i guess i have to wait for the new adjusting screw to come in before i can put this thing back together again...a week or so ....any advice or other explanations out there??
Dan.......
I don't know if you have a manual with the clutch adjustment that you followed , but the proper adjustment when adjusting the clutch is to turn in the direction of the arrow untill you fill a slight resistance is felt ( don't screw adjuster any farther after you feel the resistance ) ; you need to turn the adjuster screw in the opposite direction 1/4 then you must use a screw diver or proper tool to keep the adjuster from moving while you're tightening the locknut .

When you get the new ajusting screw and locknut just remember that you only screw adjustment screw in untill you feel a slight resistance then stop , then turn the justment screw the opposite direction 1/4 turn ; then while tightning adjustment screw with the right tool when tightning the locknut to keep adjustment screw from moving !

This should help you out , good luck with the adjustment and happy trail's !

williebee......

Old 10-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The shaft of the adjustment screw froze in the bore in the front cover on my Foreman.

I'd hit that with some grease when you reassemble.

The adjustment procedure listed above is correct. Too little play can result in slipping.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm having the same problem with the adjuster screw on my '04 Rancher 350. I decided to try adjusting the "free play" screw but, after loosening the lock nut, the adjuster screw won't budge even with an air ratchet with a 1/4" socket with a flathead driver insert @ 100 psi of pressure. I'm thinking its a pretty bad design. Would have made more sense having a regular hex bolt and lock nut to keep in place. I'm just wondering on my symptoms if I even need to have that adjusted or not. I hope not since I can't turn it and know it wouldn't be cheap for the dealer to fix it.
My symptom is when I switch between gears weather upshifting or downshifting with the electric pushbuttons, there is about a 2-3 second hesitation where it basically is in no gear, then jumps hard into the next gear. The second that I push the button(up or down), it sounds like it activated the shift control motor but, still takes those 2-3 seconds to change gears. when I tryed using the manual shift tool to troubleshoot the issue, I noticed that changing through all the gears worked pretty smoothly.
So, from what I have described, does this sound like I have bad clutches, I need to clean the shift control motor, find a way to adjust that siezed up free play bolt, or something else I have not mentioned?
Can someone please help me with this issue for I'm now leary to tackel anything since the first thing I tryed from looking at the forums as this trany problem is obviously a common issue?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The shift clutch basically disengages whenever the shift selector is out of the center detent.

If it shifts fine with the manual lever, without that delay, I wouldn't think it is a clutch issue. My guess would be for some reason it isn't returning to center very quickly.

In any event, if the clutch adjustment is seized, it will probably need to be fixed at some point. If it is frozen, there is no way you are going to get it loosened up to the point where you can feel when it takes up the slack in order to adjust it properly without pulling the cover and taking it out. I got mine to turn a bit from the outside with penetrating oil, but there was so much drag/resistance there was no way to tell where it was in its range of travel.

Pulling the engine cover off and taking the adjuster out isn't that big of a deal. You will need the gasket, naturally, and I also replaced the clutch adjuster too, since it wasn't very expensive. Mine was really seized in there pretty good. I cleaned up the hole with a bore brush and greased it well when I put it back together, then once it was adjusted I covered the nut and shaft with some RTV.

The seal on that shaft should have been put on the exterior of the case instead of the interior, so the bore and shaft would be exposed to engine oil, instead of being exposed to the elements.