Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Trx200sx owners please, I need some help. Pictures in side

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010 | 02:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Trx200sx owners please, I need some help. Pictures in side

looking for some help form owners of an 86-89 trx200sx atvs, can some one please take a picture of there rear axle just to the right of their rear sprocket. i just changed the rear axle bearings and the axle does not seem to be seating all the way. it may be normal, but I do not think it is. can some one look at theres and let me know if the gap pictured below is normal? i cant seem to get it to close any more. please let me know, I have just about finished restoring this whole atv for my kids, but stuck at this point. thank you for any help.

the gap is shown in the picture between the arrows . Bearings are fully seated. I jus can not Figure out if it's normal .

George

Old 10-12-2010 | 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

First let me say that that quad is gorgeous. You have done a fantastic job on a timeless machine. I used to own one and it was a great quad. It is still running strong with the second owner.
Next, as far as the gap, I don't know. I only have this picture of the one I used to have and it may not be any help. But I can give you a way to tell if it is normal or not. You'll have to put the axle back on and see if the sprockets line up. If they do, you're done. If not, then you'll have to take it back off and hope someone else knows.

Attached Thumbnails Trx200sx owners please, I need some help. Pictures in side-200sx-011.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010 | 03:59 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thank you, I could not tell from your picture, it cuts off just at the part I wanted to see..
Can't thank you enough..thanks posting it. The 200sx is not one I would normally work on, bought it to part it out, but it ran so good I just could not part it. Going to save it for the kids. Is amazing how good smooth and quiet it runs, wheelies nice too..holy light front end. If I can just figure out if the gap is normal I would be all set. Thanks again for the help.

Geo

Old 10-12-2010 | 06:06 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well found the problem, I was sent the wrong seals. Both seals were the same, went to the dealor got the correct seals. I'm back rolling again.

Thanks,

Geo

Old 10-13-2010 | 07:47 AM
Pro Rider

Great. Glad to hear it. One word of caution on that quad. REPLACE THE CHAIN WHEN IT GETS THE LEAST BIT WORN. If the chain breaks, it will put a hole in the left crancase cover and you'll be screwed. They are no longer made and hard to find. JB weld will hold ok but keep a good O ring chain on there and prevent the hole in the first place. I see it looks like you have a good O ring on there now. Just make sure you know how to check when a chain is worn out (measure the length) and change it before then.

Old 10-13-2010 | 02:42 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks,
I have heard that. The chain and both sprockets are new. Along with just about everything that could be replaced. Very tight machine. Pretty well made in my opinion. I think eventually it will be great for my kids. It was a very clean machine to start with. Motor did not even have a boot marks. On it. Only missing the plastic, that was beat. It's hard to drop $450 on plastic, when you can get the quad for not much more.

Geo

Old 10-13-2010 | 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

I'm with ya on that one. I have a 99 accord that needs a tranny for 3K. But everything else is fine. So should I or shouldn't I? I guess when it gets right down to it, I'll do it. I'll basically have a new car for 3K. And if you put $450 into plastics, you'll have a basically new quad for peanuts. You can't buy a new one for that. The 200SX is the predecessor to the Recon. Both are bulletproof. Your kids will love it and so will you. Too bad the shocks are not adjustable but oh well. Oh, I charged the battery on my 200sx once with a car charger and the battery was still hooked up. Bad. I fried the CDI and they aren't cheap.