Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 300ex running weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 300ex running weird

I bought this 300ex about a month ago and havent had any problems out of it but a few days it started acting funny. It was having trouble starting so I gave it gas and thought i just flooded it cause when it did start up it was running weird. I would give it a little bit of gas and it would like miss but if i gave it pretty much full throttle it would run. Also when it idled it was fine but if i gave it gas it would die. So i let it set for about 20 minutes and started it up and it ran just fine for the rest of that day. I started it up yesterday and ran fine and everything but on my way back home i had it wound out going down a main road as quick as i could and let off the gas a sec and got back on it and noticed it did the same thing as before like it missed unless i had it full throttle and i started slowing down and came to a complete stop and when I did it just died. Tried starting it back up and it didn't so i cut the choke on and it started up fine, turned the choke back off, and just hurried home but did the same thing the rest of the way and i just parked it when i got home. I don't really know a whole lot about these things and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what the problem might be, I would appreciate any input at all. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it isn't getting the gas it needs. When you mentioned the choke, that was the tip off. I would say either the filter inside the tank is dirty, or the carb needs cleaned.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply, i'll try and check this out tomorrow hopefully and see what it does then.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

A little late on the reply but it's been a busy last couple weeks.. Is there like a carburetor cleaner to put in the gas tank instead of having to take it all apart? I'd like to take that route first before I start taking it apart considering I'm not that mechanically inclined. Also have another problem come up, my starter had been acting funny and when I pushed the electric start sometimes it would make this awful grinding noise while trying to start and tried starting it up yesterday and it tried starting up but never did and ran the battery dead. So i jumped it off my car to try to get it running and it tried a few times then it just started making a clicking noise when I try to start it.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I did some research and picked up a can of seafoam and put it in it and it seems to be running alot smoother for sure, i'll ride it more this weekend and see how it turns out. Also on the starter deal I was told if i take a screwdriver and connect from one side of the starter solenoid to the other if it tried starting then it meant that the solenoid is bad. I did this little test and it definitely tried starting this way so now I assume this is the problem, is this the right test for this problem? Also if it is, is this the only part I need to fix it: HONDA STARTER SOLENOID TRX300EX 300EX TRX 300 93-08 NEW: eBay Motors (item 270641268770 end time Oct-27-10 06:16:50 PDT).

Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

All a solonoid is is a switch. When you push the starter button, the solonoid makes contact internally between the two terminals. If it's bad, it won't make that internal connection, but it nay try, which can sound like grinding or sometimes clicking. So, when you put a screwdriver accross the terminals, it accomplishes the same thing. So, yes, that is the part and should be all you need.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh I got ya, thanks for explaining how that works. I'll order this and go from there. I love this site it's been so helpful