Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 350 Rancher started smoking (help)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Honda 350 Rancher started smoking (help)

My 4 wheeler started smoking super bad. The oil is clean. Just had it rebuilt 6 months ago. Cost me 1400 dollars. It still has great power. Took the plug out, getting oil on finger. getting oil from exhaust. Whats going on??????? Any suggestions.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Where have you rode it since the build job? was it rebored? was the oil cooler cleaned out? Why did it need rebuilt? sunk in water? broke piston from high speeds? Please give us some more history...Thanks.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default smoking honda

What happened was, It got rebuilt, because I let someone borrow it, and they put mixed gas in it. But after the rebuild, it has been running fine, UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE IT STARTED SMOKING, I went through a mud hole that was just a little bit too deep, the exhaust didn't go under, but the rest of the 4 wheeler did. rode it all that day, the next day, it started smoking super bad. Like I said, still has great power, It never died while I was in the water. Could it be where I had the atv submerged and kept it running, that the water cooled the motor down too quick and it caused a ring to break or something. I am mechanically inclined, but not on 4 wheelers.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default smoking honda

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Where have you rode it since the build job? was it rebored? was the oil cooler cleaned out? Why did it need rebuilt? sunk in water? broke piston from high speeds? Please give us some more history...Thanks.
Rebuilt 6 months ago whole motor at a 4 wheeler shop. Top & bottom.

What happened was, It got rebuilt, because I let someone borrow it, and they put mixed gas in it. But after the rebuild, it has been running fine, UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE IT STARTED SMOKING, I went through a mud hole that was just a little bit too deep, the exhaust didn't go under, but the rest of the 4 wheeler did. rode it all that day, the next day, it started smoking super bad. Like I said, still has great power, It never died while I was in the water. Could it be where I had the atv submerged and kept it running, that the water cooled the motor down too quick and it caused a ring to break or something. I am mechanically inclined, but not on 4 wheelers. Thanks for inquiring on my post hopefully u can give me some tips.