Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No differential locks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda's "torque sensing differential" is not near as aggressvie as a locker but it way more aggressive that the open front diffs in the other atvs. It's more like 3 1/2 WD

If a locker was on the top of my list I would want one that I could controll, not like the Polaris or the Outys.

I like the front locker that Kawi uses, you control how aggressive it is, apply more pull on the lever and it locks up more or less, you have 100% control rather than just on or off.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:52 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by Specta
I like the front locker that Kawi uses, you control how aggressive it is, apply more pull on the lever and it locks up more or less, you have 100% control rather than just on or off.
I hated the locker on my BF 750-
Throttling through a pit, controlling the atv and feathering a lever to use my locking diff while holding on to the bars was a major pita! Plus, when the cable wears / stretches out, you have to readjust it to get the diff to fully lock- Kawi has the worst setup of all the atv's IMHO. An electric engaging locker is much better I think.

The locker on my KQ700fi was nice and pulled me through a few nasty holes.
The whole idea behind the outty's visco and polaris's AWD is peace of mind- requires no thought from the rider- you don't even know it's engaged sometimes, and it's only there when you need it.

Honda considering the steering a liability while having the diff locked is silly-
especially since when you're using the diff lock, you're not moving more then 10mph max and the rigid steering is welcomed, I think- helps keep the atv on a straight path. It's not like you drive around with the diff locked on the trails.

I do love using a diff lock crawling up rocky trails though- it totally dampens the deflection and makes the atv behave like it's on a rail (sort-of speak) reducing a ton of stress on my arms and wrist-

Old 12-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut
Honda considering the steering a liability while having the diff locked is silly-
that came directly from Honda, not me.

IMO the biggest problem with Kawi front locker is that it comes on a Kawi.

I would own a King Quad, in fact if I bought a new ATV today that's probably what I would buy.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

that came directly from Honda, not me.

I was implying Honda was silly for saying that- not you

Old 12-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Pro Rider

I was implying Honda was silly for saying that- not you
Thanks beergut but it fits either one of us.

I would be estatic if my Rubicon had a viscous coupler in the front diff even though it's not my favorite. Having the front diff that's more aggrresive would be great.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the front wheels actually "lock" with a viscous coupler so it's not really a "locker" but rather a very aggressive limited slip and Honda still wont use one just because BRP uses them.

The nice thing is that it does apply power to both front wheels even when one of them is off the ground and Honda's limited slip wont.

I've had some seat time riding a 800 Max and it is an awesome snow machine.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:14 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the front wheels actually "lock" with a viscous coupler so it's not really a "locker" but rather a very aggressive limited slip.
I always thought of the visco locker vs. a traditional limited slip like honda uses is like comparing Ford's non-locking converter in their AOD transmission to Chevy's locking converter.

Ford's AOD would constantly shift from OD to D looking for that sweet spot because the converter never locked up (drove me crazy when in cruise control), whereas the chevy converter would find OD and hang there even during light acceleration because the converter locked- at least that's how it was 10 years ago.
The can-am visco acts like a limited slip until it senses too much slip, then will actually "lock in" and hang there whereas the honda's limited slip will constantly search for that "sweet" spot of traction- which isn't a bad thing, but sometimes it's nice to have that diff locked up.

The ford we have now actually has a CVT in it!

Honda still wont use one just because BRP uses them.
Honda is a very stubborn and conventional company- kinda like old granddad who refuses to try a new toaster or a touchtone phone

I would own a King Quad, in fact if I bought a new ATV today that's probably what I would buy.
That's funny- it seems a lot of the Honda guys I talk to either had a KQ or would consider buying a KQ-
Most of the Can-Am guys I talk to came from a Polaris or a BF and say the'd never go back-
and the Grizzly guys... well, they're just weird people in their own little club that no one can figure out (I say that because I ride with a bunch of guys who have grizzly's )

Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

That's funny- it seems a lot of the Honda guys I talk to either had a KQ or would consider buying a KQ-
Most of the Can-Am guys I talk to came from a Polaris or a BF and say the'd never go back-
and the Grizzly guys... well, they're just weird people in their own little club that no one can figure out (I say that because I ride with a bunch of guys who have grizzly's)
Very funny yet amazingly accurate. LOL

The only thing for me that my Rubicon lacks is power. You need enough power that you can ride in deep snow in high range so you can keep your speed up. Once you shift into low range it's time to turn around and go back home. If Honda built a 650 Rubicon I wouldn't even consider looking at another ATV.

The KQs clutch almost acts like it as another gear when out cruising, it actually allows the RPMs to drop down and I have never felt that with any other belt drive. And I find the KQ "comfortable" and it "fits" me.

The BF 750 has amazing power right from idle. The immediate throttle response is the most impressive out of everything I have ridden but there are other issues that would keep me from buying one, like that hideous whine from the transmission.

I spent some time on a 800 Max too, tons of power and I liked riding it.

The Grizz is just too top heavy for me and Polaris is at the bottom of the pile.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

why would a locker be a liability on the steering, too hard??? thats why every brand has power steering now.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by kcaves
why would a locker be a liability on the steering, too hard??? thats why every brand has power steering now.
It's not like it would have to be locked all the time anyways.

Quick Reply: No differential locks?