Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Connecticut riders click here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get some riding land! WE NEED IT. Cokaponnsett state forest in Killingworth is open to Snowmobiles! why cant we ride there too? Just cuase we make ruts doesnt mean anything, we should have some land, Put it all to use!, all my trails are getting wrecked for houses, so i need some more land. Cokapnsett is great. Im gonna E-Mail the DEP, Show them who's boss.
Patrick

Old 03-09-2001, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Krkarcher,I noticed you were from Oxford.Have you ever ridden at the Quarry near the state garage at exit 23 off route 8?We got tickets there last Sunday from DEP after someone told us that it was ok to ride there.What a crock.

Old 03-09-2001, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

Paulgp602, the Pachaug state forest is in the eastern part of Ct. It is in Sterling,Plainfield and Voluntown. If not mistaken, its the biggest state forest in Connecticut.

Old 03-09-2001, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Paul,

Never been there. I was always a dirt bike/ATV rider up until about 10 years ago, when I sold everything off when my kids were born. At that time, there were several places to ride - old Watertown Drive Inn, Thomaston Dam... The only place I take my kids now is off of the bridal trails in Oxford (at the Oxford Airport) - not on the bridal trail! The area is small but it's close to home. It is illegal to ride there but I have never been bothered by anyone. I also mountain bike a 25 mile loop that navigates through Oxford, Naugatuck, Southbury, Middlebury and Woodbury. Occassionally I see a few dirt bikes on the trails (mostly private and IBM property - I called IBM and got permission to use the property, but no motorized vehicles), but more and more of the last is being sold off to developers. Most of the trails are single track which is impassable with an ATV.

If you have never been to MA, it's worth a trip but make sure you have MA registration first. There are a few good places right over the border that you can spend all day riding in.

Please let me know if you get any response from the DEP or the politicians - I'm curious on what they have to say.

Thanks

Kurt

Old 03-09-2001, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

Pat is right.. (he and i live down the street from eachother) all of our trails are being ripped apart for houses.. D.E.P. should try doing something about houses.. they are woried about two ruts?? what about these huge houses being put up on a historical foundation.. They are putting houses up on the one place that I know of a family of great blue harrons.. they are indangered, and noone really seems to care. But as soon as an atv comes thru there, all hell breaks loose. I am going to e-mail everyone of those people and request permission to ride on cockponset state forest and all of those other forests where people go to walk. we need places to ride... When you e-mail them, be sure to mention all of the good points like.. "i could be doing drugs" and things like that.. they always seem to work!

Old 03-09-2001, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I will be sure to keep the post posted.

Old 03-09-2001, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

You can also bring up the DISCRIMINATION word,because we are surely being discriminated against.That seems to work for minorities.NO offense to any of you!

Old 03-10-2001, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

i also mentioned that other states put aside land for ATV's and i havnt heard any horror stories about them. also if they give you the people get killed speech on ATV's...then come back with "people die everyday driving cars but i dont see you shutting down the roads" if you use your wits it helps. also no swearing in your messages or getting PO'ed at them. just some pointers. i have no probs with the DEP there just doing what the GOV't tells them too.

Old 03-12-2001, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

The DEP guy e-mailed me back this response:

"DEP is reviewing the idea of setting a parcel of land aside for ATV use. DEP directors have visited the facilities in Mass., and have talked with the Mass. facility managers. Is there any movement toward this direction, I can not say at this time. The Thomaston Dam is owned by the Federals', operated by the Army Corp. of Engineers. If you have any questions you need to direct them to the Army Corp."

Old 03-17-2001, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont own a ATV (yet)I would do just about anything to help out with this.Because when I get mine I will be looking for places to ride,and others to ride with (safety).

I dont get it ive been doing tons of research on the web for places to ride,there are alot of states that have state forests and park that you could ride.What are they doing to make it work? Why cant ct do this.

There should be a place like tower city or atv ny.
I will be willing to pay to ride.

I would also be willing to donate some labor to clean and maintain legal riding trails in our state forests,if it ever comes about.

I belong to a hiking group for single people (im 35) and we hike all over the state.You guys should see all the roads and trails in these state forests,its unbeleivable.Beautifull trails.
Its ATV heavan in there.

Later,Shawn
What can i do for you guys to support this topic?

Quick Reply: Connecticut riders click here.