Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Lectron carb. on 426EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 12:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my Lectron carb. The instructions recomended mounting it at a 1 o' clock angle which I didn't like the bowl sitting half full. Also th etop of the carb rubbed the tank and would eventually make a hole. And theairbox had to be moved up an inch and remounted. I looked at this and used a 1.5" copper coupling to make up the 1" distance between the carb and intake boot with some hose and clamps. Now the carb is sraight up and down and the airbox fits stock. If they would just spend another dollar and include a spacer kit the the carb would fit properly. You folks that have Lectrons may want to convert yours or check tank wear where it rubs. later, Terry

Old 03-12-2001, 01:53 AM
Range Rover

I agree with you. Lectron couldn't made it fit a little better. I have mine modified just like you say.

Old 03-12-2001, 11:59 AM
LDJ
Pro Rider

I am having second thoughts about my Lectron carb. I went out duning this weekend and my carb kept on leaking out a bunch of gas all over the side of my engine. I didn't mind it, but the sand kept on sticking all over my motor. I wish they would have designed this carb better. Now I think I might switch to the 39mm FCR.

Old 03-12-2001, 02:13 PM
Range Rover

I will take mine out a couple of weekends and see how I like it. The new long throw thumb lever is not very appealing. I think it may be a bad idea to use that carb on this motor. I talked to Curtis Sparks today and he said the FCR is the way to go. It can run on the thumb which I heard previously not possible? It uses the stock stroke to open. I think that may be the best way to go. I like the throttle response and power of the Lectron it is just the refinment issues. I am also thinking about the Sparks X6 pipe..

Old 03-13-2001, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know who is spreading the rumors that the FCR requires a twist throttle but they're false.

The FCR is a quality piece that works without modifying, jerry rigging, or fabrication. It's also a pumper carb.

Mine seems to get as good fuel economy or better than it did when it was stock. I believe the FCR doesn't dump out as much fuel when you're in a wheelie as the stocker does (probably one of the explanations). I recently ran a 2 hour HS at a pace fast enough to win the overall, I didn't even have to hit reserve, which I would have been borderline when stock.

The FCR also has a slightly shorter throw on the thumb than the stock carb, this allows me more flexibility in the positioning of my thumb throttle. Throttle pull is as light as or lighter than stock.

Basically I have found zero drawbacks other than price to this carb. That's probably why it's standard issue on ALL modern high performance 4 stroke dirtbikes and many high performance street bikes.

Plus you may even lose a pound or two over that monster of a stock carb.

Paid around $400 for my carb with a throttle cable.

Old 03-14-2001, 04:08 PM
LDJ
Pro Rider

Gabe, who did you buy your carb from to get that $400 price.

Old 03-14-2001, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

A buddy got it for me who has a contact in the street bike racing world. So they're out there, just a matter of finding them.

Last time I checked LRD was selling them for $425, if I remember correctly.

Old 03-16-2001, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

400EX'r, what exactly did you do to make your carb fit right? What size diameter coupling did you use? Did you just stick the coupling in the intake and put a rubber coupling on the end of that and just stick the carb into the end of the rubber coupling? did i read your post right? I really don't care for the way mine is right now either.

Old 03-16-2001, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with Gabe, for aftermarket carbs, the FCR is the way to go. It fits perfect, will take either a thumb or twist throttle and gives much better fuel mileage and throttle response. I've got the 41mm on my 425. I also put an aftermarket accelerator pump on it that is tuned to pump out the proper amount of fuel for a 425. I paid about 425.00 + 40.00 for the accelerator pump + 35.00 for the twist throttle. Worth every penny IMHO.

Old 03-16-2001, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

You guys should check out the Edelbrock carb for the EX. I bought the complete kit for $400 and everything bolted right on without having to modify anything or move the air box location. Edelbrock did their homework and spent the extra dollar.

Quick Reply: Lectron carb. on 426EX