Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Lots of Recon Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of Recon Questions

Hey everyone, I've decided I need to put my Recon through more torture by turning it into a mud bogger, however, as per usual, I am having issues with the carburetor.
I plan on using PVC to build a snorkel from the airbox, siliconing my airbox and snorkel boot to ensure no water gets in and covering all electronic components in dielectric grease.
Awhile ago, my carburetor somehow got all messed up and I've been fiddling with it ever since, I've left my pilot jet so the O-ring is visible only because I didn't know where else to put it and it was the only position that seemed to work well.
Today I bought the service manual for the Recon and it said the proper screw adjustment was 2 5/8 turns out. So I took out the carb and screwed the pilot jet all the way, compressing the spring and then 2 5/8 turns out. At first it simply wouldn't work but I kept turning it out a bit and now, it has a huge increase in power compared to how it was before. However it does pop on the deceleration which I've read is a symptom of the carb running too lean.
To remedy this, should I simply keep turning the pilot jet out to make the mix more rich, or is a big of popping normal. The extra power is just so enticing. I haven't really had the chance to go on a long ride to make sure it won't start sputtering and quit on me after awhile.

Also, I've got the 1999 Recon and I've gathered this runs a 95 main jet and a 38 slow jet. If I added a snorkel and potentially an Uni air filter down the road, which main jet would I need? Would a 105 jet be good? The Recon has almost no selection of exhausts, so I probably wouldn't get one of those.

One other sort of unrelated issue I have is with my headlights. One is dimmer than the other. I've read this is due to a faulty ground wire. What can I do about that to fix it?

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. I wouldn't re-jet the carb if i were you. Symptoms of a lean atv, are a whiteish spark plug coloring. run it for around 30-40 minutes, allow it to cool and remove the plug and see what color it is. and for the headlights its most definately a faulty ground wire. some simple re-wiring could fix that. Just run a new ground wire, directly to the frame or front bumper bolts, loosen the bolt, and skin the coating off of the ground wire, wrap it around the bolt, and tighten the bolt back. and don't worry about the origional ground wire. unless it touches another naked wire, it won't hurt it to touch metal.