Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

quadmaster 50 carb prob

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011 | 02:58 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default quadmaster 50 carb prob

hi all, yep new to the forum. please can you help with a problem with an issue with the carb on my boys quadmaster 50. i bought it some months for his birthday today, new fuel in the tank and had a great morning then this afternoon began cutting out on low revs then just cutting out while it was being ridden.

i have done some obvious checks, yes there is fuel, changed spark plug. then my dad (bless him) got hold of a screwdriver and turned the screws on the carb ( the posi one - chrome/silver colour and the slotted brass screw).

i have spent the last 2 hrs trying to get it going and i get the odd start and ticks over for maybe 20 seconds.

please can you help me as to what i should be doing.

cheers and look forward to some pointers.

Old 08-26-2011 | 10:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The first thing you have to do is find out if your problem is mechanical, electrical or fuel.

Do it in this order for ease of checking:

#1 Pull the plug and ground it and turn the engine over. Good strong spark? Go to #2

#2 Do a compression test. Good compression? Go to #3

#3 Pull the air cleaner intake tube and get a can of ether. Spray the ether in the carb while turning it over. Does it start? If so keep feeding it ether for a bit to keep it running. If it keeps running while you feed it ether you know it's a fuel problem.

My WAG is it's a fuel problem of some type.

Old 08-26-2011 | 12:07 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

doctor turbo, i agree with your view. i have had the bowel off and found gunge and droplets of water, have drained the fuel and refilled, cleaned the spark plug and yes there is a spark.

then the next problem after doing the items mentioned above, is that there was a flat spot and now the current problem is that it will only go 50 yards then conk out, restart and go 50 yards then conk out and same again etc . . .

Old 08-26-2011 | 05:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

"Drops of water" says it all. Water finds it's way to the lowest point. In the case of the carb it will be the main jet.

Drain the tank, the carb "COMPLETELY DRY" and fill with fresh gas and start over.

Old 08-27-2011 | 02:46 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

doctor turbo, i have done what you have sugeested and taken the air filter out, cleaned it and put it back, i have taken the jets out and blown them. taken the bowel of cleaned it and drained the fuel.

the quad seems to start and tick over, it will go and then conk out at 50 yards and then i restart it then it conks out again. i have even undone the drain screw at the bottom with the idea of releases any water droplets, but this makes no difference.

have you got any more pointers, it does seem a fuel problem, as there is a new spark plug in it.

Old 08-27-2011 | 12:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I think your correct, it seems like fuel to me.

Have you checked your venting to the tank? If the tank vent is plugged it won't allow the fuel into the bowl.

When it does it's thing, shoot a little ether into the carb and see if it runs. This will tell you whether it's fuel or spark.

Going racing, won't be on for a few days. Good luck man and let us know what you find.