Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

87Trx350 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 87Trx350 fuel pump

hello i have a 1987 Honda Trx 350 and the electric fuel pump has burned out along with what ever electronics control it, since it is just an old beater i dont want to sink anymore money than i absolutely have to,i have read that you can replace the stock piece of garbage with something a little more reliable like a vacuum pump off a lawn tractor or a snowmobile, so i tried it and it worked for a little while i hooked the vacuum line on the pump to the block vent "bad idea" i ended up blowing the base gasket i would like to know if there is any other way to run this style pump any help would be greatly appreciated. its beyond my knowledge of fourwheelers please help

Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the info however there is a fuel cut relay on these bikes that ranges around $60 at my local atv parts store and i would rather not go back to an electric pump although if there is any kinds of fuel pumps that you can think of that put out around 1 to 3 psi i would be thankful for your help

Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer

someone was telling me to run the vacuum line from the pump off the intake but i dont know where. he was telling me that i have to drill and tap the intake so i can hook the vacuum line to it

Old 02-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

i need a vacuum to run the vacuum fuel pump i am putting on in place of the stock electric pump. i have a kehin carb and i need a fuel pump because the fuel tank is under the seat "lower than the carb". i would run a gravity tank if i could find one that would fit my frame without to much modding. as for the different carb i have a keihn off an older Honda 3 wheeler that is the same as mine with the exception of the needle valve and seat being bigger to compensate for less pressure. the petcock is Manuel just like any other ATV. however the relay is as far as i know controlled by the cdi box. there is no such thing as a 1987 emissions engine on an ATV and vacuum fuel pumps are very common they are on many snowmobiles and lawn tractors and even on some ATVs, i'm not positive but i think Suzuki used them on some ATVs as well as Kawasaki from the factory and if i remove my pump and run straight to the carb have you ever seen gas run uphill LOL. i have tinkered with this ATV for almost a year now and the closest to running perfect i've had it was a few days ago when i had the vacuum pump hooked between the fuel tank and the carb with the vacuum coming from the block vent the only downfall was that the block built pressure and eventually lost its vacuum therefore the pump would stop pumping. the vacuum pumps work off a diaphragm and the vacuum pulsates and therefore moves the diaphragm back and forth and it would start pumping. another thing that these pumps are used on were used on were older cars they ran off the cam but still used a diaphragm to create a vacuum and pump the fuel.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

that is what the guy i was talking about had told me to do i just wasnt sure thanks for the help i wont have time to do it untill this weekend but ill keep it posted on how it works