Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New member looking for a little ATV advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member looking for a little ATV advice

I am in the market for a used Honda ATV but was hoping to talk to some people who know more than myself before making any decisions.
I am looking to spend between $2k-2500 and am mostly searching on the local CL for a decent shape utility 4 wheeler.
I have come across a 06 Rancher 420 2x2 with unknown miles in good shape (cosmetic, anyway) for $2500 - does this seem like a fair deal? I know, there are a ton of variables that can effect price, but I'm going to test ride it today - is there any tricks or test I can give this ATV to help decide if this is a well cared for machine or an abused machine someone is looking to offload on some sucker (like me).
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

That price seems a bit high to me. But you would have to find out the exact model number and check a website like NADA for the suggested value. That would be your starting point.

One thing to note: NADA does not even list a 420 Rancher for the year 2006: 2006 Honda Prices, Values, Specs & Pictures - NADAguides

However, for just a base 2WD Rancher for that year, it looks like the average price is around $1900. You definitely need to see it and be sure you are looking up the right model.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

The 4 wheeler is a '07 not a '06, my mistake!
I looked at the prices and it still seems a little high though.
Thanks for the info, Wilson.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, its a little high for a 2WD. I would counter offer around $2200. I have a Rancher, and its an excellent machine to start with.

But for your price range, I might go back to a 2005 or 2006 and get 4WD. The looks didn't change, so a well kept 2005 machine is as good as a newer one, and if you can get 4WD, its a bonus!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I have been going back and forth on whether I need 4 wheel drive. The main reason I am getting an ATV is to trail ride. My property is in the mountains and has logging roads that range from kinda steep to kinda insane. I imagine I'll probably want to drag a trailer around them every once in a while also so maybe waiting on a decent 4 wheel drive might be the way to go.
I did see a '05 Suzuki Vinson on CL for $2500 but it has 6900 miles which seems high for the year, also I haven't heard much about Suzuki ATVs. Does that sound like a decent deal?
Thanks again btw

Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to pull in the woods, and the trails get steep, you may be happier with a 4wd, most are selectable now, so you can leave it in 2wd for most of your trail riding. The Rancher series is a rock solid quad, not big on accesseries, but reliable and long running. The Vinson is also a great quad, I know lots of guys that run them and love them ,but almost 7k miles is quite a lot ,depending on how it was driven and maintained. If all the guy did was run down the trail at speed for several hundred miles a week, I can see the miles piling up, with little wear and tear. But if the guy was a hunter or farmer, Im sure the quad has seen a lot of rough terrain and hard work. As the others have said, do your homework, check KBB or NADA, and look the quad over and take it for a ride. If nothing else, see if you can bring it to a shop for a look over, be worth 50 bucks to find any hidden problems that could jump out and bite you down the road.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

I have personal experience with a Suzuki Vinson, and I can tell you they are great machines. My 05 Vinson 5-speed has proven to be a very durable and dependable ride, and I have about 7000 miles on it...it still has a ton of power and still has plenty of miles left in it.

I was a Honda rider for years, but got fed up with the crappy drum brakes Honda was offering on every bike they made, so when I was looking to buy new, I went with Suzuki, who made the 500cc, triple disc brake, 5-speed manual Vinson. Disc brakes won't fill with water/mud and corrode, unlike Honda's "triple-sealed" drums.

If the model you're looking at DOESN'T have drum brakes, then it will probably be fine....Honda makes a great ride except for their drum brakes. If it does have drums, either front or rear, then definitely go with the Suzuki.

I agree that the price is a bit high, make a counteroffer