Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

03 400ex starter problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 400ex starter problems...

so, whenever i connect the battery, the starter engages. It doesnt matter if the key switch is off and the starter switch is disengaged. So im thinking its a starter solenoid or a starter...how would i go about testing a starter solenoid? or what else is there to check?

Here is my theory...i think its the solenoid because the starter is getting power when it shouldnt be...thoughts?

any assistance is greatly appreciated...also, i dont have a wiring diagram so im kinda doing this blind.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Take the solenold off....get you an buzz box meter or volt meter with an buzzer for ohms).or meter for ohms...get jump batt. and jump leads......K here we go...set meter on ohms or buzzer mode put meter leads on the two larger post THEN take the jummper leads hook to jump batt on one end and the other end of jummper leads to the two small wire of solenold...you will here an click noise an should have ohms or an buzz noise each time you touch jummper leads to small wires of solenold...If you have an solenold thats stuck on you have an no click just buzz or ohms..If you an solenold clicks and no buzz or ohms Bad solenold....If all test good may want to check buttom wire to solenold for buzz or ohms....put meter leads on the two small wires of harness at solenold if you have buzz or ohms there without pushing start button than there yoUr problem ONLY should have buzz or ohms when push start button..Hopes this help....Lets us know what you find...Good Luck..

Old 08-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

i think that would be ur best bet would just to get a new celenoid, ive had this happen to my 300ex. bump the celenoid with a screwdriver or wrench, my celenoid froze up like that eventually it drained my battery and i said screw it and got a celenoid.
- best of luck 4 ya

Old 03-29-2017, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 03 400 3ex I post new battery and celenoid and still want start hit the button the worst get hot to the celenoid but nothing happens how many volts should the button put to the celenoid

Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think it is definitely your solenoid that is froze up it is just better to buy a new one even if it does work hitting it with a screw driver or something because it just means that there is crap on the terminals and it will most likely happen again they shouldnt be to expensive for a new one.