Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

piston rings going bad... AGAIN..!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston rings going bad... AGAIN..!?

So a little over a month ago my quad started smoking and dying on idle. I took the top end apart and found out that the piston rings needed replaced. I replaced them and problem fixed! I was happy, proud, and my quad ran great, no smoking whatsoever and it idled perfect.

I've taken the quad out and rode probably 15+ times now with no problems. However just yesterday my quad was starting to die on idle again and my bottom end seems a little weak.. And i now noticed if i rev the engine out, im getting smoke just like before.... It's only been about a month and a half since i replaced the rings!! Why am i going to have to do it again?! Is my oil pump not working or something and its not getting lubed right? Can my programmer me set wrong?! This has got me pretty stirred up, i dont want to fix it, and in another month have to do it AGAIN!

For the record i have a 700xx with a big gun slip in, uni air filter with no lid, big gun programmer, and hot cam stage 2. The stage 2 cam has been recently put in after my first rebuild.

Any help would be great. I reallt hate to have to take it to a dealer..

Old 09-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The first think I would check out is a breach in the intake tract from the air cleaner to the head. Sounds like dirt is getting into the engine to me.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

try taking out the piston and honing the cylinder, its almost like boring it out a little more so the ring has room to move around and doesnt scrape as much

Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you miche the cylinder? Its hard for round ring to seal in an egg shaped hole...If out of round over spec then rebore cylinder and replaced piston,rings,pin,clips...Also miche the small end of rod if rod is out of specs replace crank or rod,, Hard for rings to seat while an piston moving some many different ways......Also if water has been in engine oil...IMO an complete tear down is needed to get all the dirt and grit out of engine parts an replaced all parts that has been damaged...Also if water has been in oil flush out oil cooler.....Alot of people just keep changing oil and filter until they get water flushed out and dont flush out cooler SO the water and grit stay inside of cooler an an recycle of old grit and water get back into oil again...Good Luck