Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATC 110 Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATC 110 Help

I recently bought a 1983 Honda 110 (blue), the owner had a recent car wreck and DUI so he needed money, his story goes like this: the engine was "rebuilt" and didnt run right i think i have the timing wrong, made no power. I bought it and go straigt for the garage, everything is finger tight, the whole top end was held on buy the timing chain, basicly all was finger tight all the way down to the transmission and the 2 case halves. Makes me think won't or broken gears, looking into the halves and rotating gears there all intact, then I notice the shift shaft is Brand new, it has slop in it. The shaft is like .455" and the hole in the case is .500", so, does any one know it the shaft is wrong or is there a bushing or shim missing. The slop makes the catch miss the shift drum, therefore not changing gears. Any ideas or knowledge???? PS. the whole top end is new and bored and rebuilt. I believe the shifter shaft is all thats wrong. I have looked and looked and cant find specs on this matter. Anyone have one in a parts bin that the can measure for me?? Thanks

Old 10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Fiche Parts Look at photo 11,12 this some of your shifting parts....But it dont give any spec..12 maybe cracked or broke which could cause the shift pattern to be to wide an not catch the shift drum to rotate

Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

11 is the shift shaft and that's brand new, 12 is the shift catch and it looks fine. I looked these over well, just not sure why the slop is so much between shift shaft and the hole in the case.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Does it leak oil around shaft?...Honda wasnt to percision back in the 80,s on the cases..So it doesnt shift right?

Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

I am an Honda tech...So Im trying to fiqure whats going on or if anything...If atc shifts good and doesnt leak oil...Thats about all its is surpose to do....

Old 10-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

I read your other post saying it misses shift some times,,,May check the bolt in the star piece thats bolted on the shift drum..Also check the number 9 to see if it cracked....

Old 10-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't see any oil leaks, the oil seal in the left case looks new, well at least it's not rock hard and broke. It does miss shifts on the work bench, I've never rode this machine. The star wheel looks good and it was on the doll pin correctly and bolted down tight. This will be tough to handle over a forum I know. I appreciate all the help.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I wish I knew more about this subject, I took a small engine repair class at my high school, 2 years, I just finished a complete redo on a Honda TRX 70 for my daughter.
I have a small clue what is going on, but it seems there's excessive slop on the right side of the shift shaft, thinking about making a bushing and glueing it in. The excessive wobble causes it to not fully catch the drum, therefore slipping off the catch pin on the drum. There is .050" difference in size between the shaft and the pilot hole, I just can't figure out why so much, from the fiche there isn't a "factory" bushing there. And again, thanks for the help.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

You can get the manual on our FTP server here = ftp://70.177.101.45/

in the honda folder! hope this helps! msg me for any more questions.