Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Scratches on plastic

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches on plastic

I have got a Honda Rancher 420 TEA. It has got a few good scratches on all plastics. I tried armor all to hide it but its still visible. Any suggestion to get rid of them permanently? I heard use of heat gun but don't know how. Thanks

Old 02-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Bavander
I have got a Honda Rancher 420 TEA. It has got a few good scratches on all plastics. I tried armor all to hide it but its still visible. Any suggestion to get rid of them permanently? I heard use of heat gun but don't know how. Thanks
I wouldn't recommend the heat gun, as some people have said it leaves swirrel marks on the plastics. If your real careful you can use a propane torch, people have had great success with that method, you just have to be careful not to get it too hot as the plastics will lose they're shape. Probably the best option would be the one described in the first post this forum link: Best way to make your atv/dirtbike plastic shine as new - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum if you go to post #23 (on page 3) of that discussion you will see great before and after pictures.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot Bluegizmo83. I will follow your advise may be this weekend and let you know the results. But thanks a lot in advance.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot Bluegizmo83. I will follow your advise may be this weekend and let you know the results. But thanks a lot in advance.
Your welcome. I haven't actually tried that method from that forum link yet, but I will definitely be doing it to mine soon since everyone seems to have great success with it. Another thing you could do, if that method doesn't remove the deep scratches, you could do the torch method on the deep scratches and then go over it with the steel wool and floor finish that is described in that link.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

I think that's good idea. Sanding and steel wool should do it. I had gotten mine from a guy who sold it after mudding. I cleaned it well and applied 3 coats of Armour all, rubbed the plastics hard with a microfiber towel after each application. The shine and color came through great and hide minor scratches but big scratches can be still seen if looked carefully. I think sanding should help. I will let you know.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

I also read some where using paint thinner and boiled linseed oil to hide scratches. What do you guys think?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

OK guys, I tried sanding and using Holloway House clean shine on my plastics. It came out great. But it becomes all whitish spotty if splattered with water. So I am back to Armour All. Just applied a coat and left in sun for an hour and aha bright shiny color came all over. Thought to let you guys know.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

OK guys, I tried sanding and using Holloway House clean shine on my plastics. It came out great. But it becomes all whitish spotty if splattered with water. So I am back to Armour All. Just applied a coat and left in sun for an hour and aha bright shiny color came all over. Thought to let you guys know.
Thanks for the update! Did you go over it with a good cleaner wax after you applied the holloway? I read in that post that he says to finish off with a good cleaner wax, which unlike normal wax, a cleaner wax has a small amount of buffing compound in it to bring that color and shine out even more, and I would guess the wax would protect against that whitish spotting your seeing...

Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

Bluegismo, my bad, I didn't apply cleaner wax after Holloway. Actually after 6-7 coats of clear shine it was looking great and I forgot to apply wax. In the mean time my SH wanted to ride and she flipped it over in my yard slightly bending right handle bar ( another thread). Any way thought to clear the dirt and mud and sprayed water over it. That left so much white spots all over and I went back to my armour all. It looks shiny now but may be next time I will complete with clear shine and wax. will let you know.