Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Whining Rubi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up my new Rubi yesterday and rode it around the back yard for a few laps.

There seemed to be quite a bit of whining noise that drowns out the engine noise at low speeds. Any other Rubi owners notice this?

Is this normal till the bike breaks in?

Thanx,
rod

Old 03-27-2001, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

I am far from a pro on this one but it seems to me that some whining is normal.

The transmission is hydrostatic or hydraulic either term I suppose is close enough. It is normal for hydraulic motors to whine. It is actually the hydraulic fluid (in this case the engine oil) being sheared by the internal workings of the transmission/pump/hydraulic motor. This effect is likely more noticeable when the fluid is cold.

I did read however that the transmission should make no noise. Mind you I read this on one of the forums and this sort of concerned me. Ever since day one, my transmission has had a little whine in it.

My father has a Craftsman lawn tractor with hydrostatic drive and that thing whines a lot. Especially when cold. As soon as it warms up, it seems to go away. Every Bobcat I've ever operated whines when it labors against a load. Less so when warm.

For these reasons, I think it is an incorrect statement to say that the Rubicon's transmission is completely silent. If you listen carefully it sounds a little like an idling diesel engine. Its got a little whistle-twang sound to it.

Anyway, those are my observations.

Old 03-27-2001, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Before I bought my Ruby, I'd noticed the little whine in the trany and checked out a couple more new ones. They all had the whine and I think it's just the "nature of the beast". I'm still amazed at the response and smoothness of the trany. That was the determining factor (along with the Honda reputation) in choosing the Ruby.

Old 03-27-2001, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

Not to worry. Mine does the same thing. I have driven lots of commercial lawn equip. with a hydro tranny and they all do it.

Old 03-28-2001, 05:18 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

mine has gotten quieter, but still loud when you tap the throttle when cold, I like the sound my friend commeted jokeing: Does it have a supercharger too?