Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

PLEASE HELP Honda recon shift problem ..ITS NOT THE ANGLE SENSOR..

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP Honda recon shift problem ..ITS NOT THE ANGLE SENSOR..

I have a 2004 recon trx250 ES I been having trouble with the shifting. Any time when i go to neutral to first (also has the same effect when i switch to neutral to reverse) it wants to start spinning the wheels and i have to try a few times to get beck to neutral while holding down the brakes for it doesn't creep along. I cycled through all the gears while driving and it shifts fine. When my quad is neutral it sounds perfectly fine. she just wants to slowly take off on me in first and reverse gear. I just changed the angle sensor and battery hoping it would do the trick that but no luck any other ideas before i am forced to tear apart the engine.

One quick thing to add as well the 1st gear light does not blink and its an ES should of gone with a manual
ANY IDEAS!

Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

How fast is the idle speed of the engine? It's an automatic so if the RPM's are high, the clutch will engage.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its a little slower then walking speed i messed with the idle speed and and its not that. To low it just shuts off when i shift two high of an idle speed it will go a little faster without hitting the gas but really hard to shift back down

Old 04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Do you know how to adjust the clutch? In the front of the engine, there is a slotted bolt with a lock nut around it. Hold the slotted nut with a screwdriver and losten the nut. Hold the nut still with the wrench and tighten the bolt until it stops. Then back it out 1/4 turn and hold it there while you tighten the lock nut. If that doesn't work, play with it a little from there and see if you can get it to not take off when you put it in gear.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

i was going to try that but i came across this on the internet as well can you help make sense of it all

The clutch you're talking about isn't the automatic clutch. It's the clutch for changing gears.
--The automatic clutch is a centrifugal clutch.
--When the quad is in gear, the vehical won't start moving until the engine speeds up.
--The centrifugal force causes the clutch shoes to expand (in a sideways movement) away from their resting position (the clutch shoes are held closed by springs).
--The clutch shoes grab hold of the clutch drum (this all works just like brake shoes and a brake drum), which turns the transmission clutch. The movement of the transmission, drives the wheels.
--The clutch with the adjuster screw works like this. You press on the shift lever - shift linkage presses against the clutch and the clutch disengauges - this allows the trani gears to move on their respective transmission shafts smoothly without any tension on each other - let go of the shift lever - the clutch re-engauges and you're ready to move in that gear when the centrifugal clutch grabs.
--The adjuster screw is used to take up slack in the clutch after the clutch plates (like a clutch in a regular motorcycle or quad with a manual clutch - cabe operated) wear down.
--To adjust the screw - with the motor off - tighten (clockwise) the screw until it "just" touches, then back it out 1/4 turn.
--Remember, this clutch has nothing to do with making the vehicle move. If you're having trouble with your quad moving from a dead stop, then the centrifugal clutch needs looking at (springs, clutch shoes, clutch drum).