Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex pivot bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex pivot bolt

So I am trying to get this project 400ex tore down so I can get the bottom end out and split it to clean it up.

The Pivot Bolt is stuck, not moving, no way, no how. I have been soaking it since Tuesday beat it every day for a couple minutes and it is not moving, except I can get it to move side to side like an 1/8". But when I do that I can see the sleeves are just moving stuck to the bolt and the frame is spreading.

From doing some reading this is a pretty common problem. I already have a new bolt and bearings and bushings on order so I am not worried about destroying the stuff that is there (except frame, motor, and swinger of course). It seems that everyone that has this problem winds up cutting the bolt. So just to make sure from what I see they cut it at the dust shield on each side. Is that the best spot? After I do that, then how do I get it off the motor and such? Seems to me that doing this will make this in to more of a pain than it already is..... I started trying to cut the head off the bolt so maybe I could drive it the other way, but I am out of cut off wheels and didn't make it very far yet.

Anyone have any advice? I would really be appreciated......

It drew blood on my tonight so now I am pretty determined.....

Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I use a air chisle. It'll push it out.
Years ago I had one stuck bad. Never was out for years. It was tough but it pushed it right out.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The only way I have seen the bolt cut is between the frame and swing arm. I would not cut the head off of the bolt yet. Leaving the head on the bolt will allow you to rotate the bolt as you cut it with a die grinder or sawzall.
I have heard of using a air chisel. But never seen it done. I would give it a try before cutting the bolt.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jgar
I would not cut the head off of the bolt yet. Leaving the head on the bolt will allow you to rotate the bolt as you cut it with a die grinder or sawzall.
The head of the bolt wont turn. I tried last night driving a chisel between the bolt and frame, but that did nothing. It is siezed in the sleeves. I got a pair of vise grips on one of the sleeves and tried to turn it, but that wouldn't happen either. Why the head of the bolt won't turn I don't know. Seems like it should, but not even close. I did try to drive it out with an air hammer, but that wouldn't budge it at all.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You keep whacking away with that air hammer, With enough vibration, It'll come I bet.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe I am just impatient. But I don't see it moving. But I will keep trying before I cut it off.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The pivot bolts are almost always a problem. My buddy changed his. He slammed that bolt for hours with a sledge and hit it with pb blaster. Finally he cut it like most people do.
Is the swing arm loose because you can rebuild the top end in place.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah the swing arm is loose, well moves anyway. The reason I want to get the bolt out though is because I want to split the case so I can check bearings and get the rest of the pison out of the case. I am sure it is down there some where.
Name:  IMG_20130422_203133_569_zps52784445.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  84.8 KB

Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yea, thats nasty.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Trailblazer

Well still can't get the pivot bolt out. I did have a little success with it though. It is beat passed the frame on the right side. I ended up cutting the head off the bolt, after that was done I could start tapping it each way. I ended up tipping the quad up on its side and putting a piece of pipe on the side of the frame around the bolt and was pounding on it that way. I got the bolt to move about half an inche and that was it. Now I can't get it to move either way.

Quick Reply: 400ex pivot bolt