Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2014 Honda Rancher Changes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Honda Rancher Changes?

According to Honda's website the 'new' 2014 Rancher is supposed to be better with the following improvements:

- improved fuel efficiency
- a stronger, all-new double-cradle steel chassis
- increased suspension stroke front and rear
- improved seat comfort

The above features seem like all good improvements especially the increased suspension travel. However I wonder what Honda has done to improve fuel efficiency? My 2008 Rancher 4x4 foot shift seems to be pretty thrifty, only once can I remember ever needing to use reserve. Improved efficiency is always better as long as it does not impact performance in a negative way. Lets hope that is not the case.

In addition to the improvements Honda has documented on their website I noticed a few other improvement by examining the pictures of the 2014 Rancher. These improvements or changes that I have noticed include:

- Relocation of the coolant overflow tank from under the rear fender to under the front fender (this should improve weight distribution)

- The fuel cap has been moved from the top of the tank to the right of the steering column (maybe Honda relocated the fuel tank as well to further improve center of gravity, also note that there does not appear to be a vent tube coming from the fuel cap)

- The rear shock seems to have a preload adjustment

- The rear sealed brake drum is now again located in the proper spot of inside the rear right wheel helping to protect it from harms way.

- To the left of the steering column there appears to be spot that is designed to have a 12 volt accessory plug as an option.

Again the improvements above is what I can tell by looking at the photos on Honda's website, there could be more, did I miss anything.

Final thoughts; With the relocation of the fuel cap and coolant tank, I wonder if Honda improved upon the Rancher's very limited internal storage. Also I am not sure I like the new plastics, seems too boxy for me, I simply like the look of my 2008 more. Also looking at the front bumper, the bars that extent just under each headlight are just straight bars and do not loop back around or weld back to anything, seems like it would be easy to bend them. On my 2008 Rancher these bars loop back around on themselves providing a very convenient spot to anchor straps to. I really wished Honda did away with using the very uncommon 11 inch wheel size for the rear rims. Speaking from experience it is difficult to find a good set of after market tires that fit on 11 inch rims. Finally the new digital display looks pretty good, I wonder if it is going to be available for all Ranchers including the non ES and AT versions.

I am curious to hear others' reactions to these changes.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If it has fuel injection that might explain no vent house. Not sure on that.

It is weird that they still use an 11 inch rear wheel. Not easy finding a new set of tires for that size.

I thought I had read that they are going to have a way to fully lock the front end. I didn't see anything on their website to suggest it has a way to fully lock up the front end. Just the old Trax Lock.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:05 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

No suspension travel difference still 6.3 inches (low for a IRS even the SRA version has 6.3). The throttle-body is the same PGM.
The Foreman will be the only model with diff lock. The more expensive Rubicon and Rincon do not even get it. http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...=297223&go2=Go
Why a 420cc 4x4 has little 24" tires must be a cost saving measure. Even my 350 Grizzly has 25" tires stock and I upgraded them to 26".

Honda is not know for big changes.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just purchased 2013 rancher with es. Solid ride. Dont mind the seat so I feel that was an unnessasary Upgrade for the 2014. (Pardon my spelling) I get it tomorrow so ill see how it goes

Old 08-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

And I used to ride an old 98 420. Besides the engine burning my legs (literally) I liked it to.