Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

short in ignition circuit where to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll try again. I have page 18-0 in front of me, from the book, showing the ignition system. the regulator rectifier is the finned block with the five post plug on top of it, inside the rh wheel well. that's the first plug I took apart and tested the two yellow wires for continuity to ground. I did have that continuity . .
next I disconnected a five pin plug that's attached to the frame, ahead of the right rear tire. in the diagram its referred to as 5P and has five wires that three of go to the alternator and one that goes to the ignition pulse generator another shows to go to ground. I have both plugs disconnected and I still show a .3amp short across the negative battery cable to the battery.
the directions in the book on page 17-8 sez to check at both these plugs on the yellow cables for continuity to ground and between them which I described above. does this make more sense ?

now that I think about the diodes in the alternator, there are three wires and if memory serves they should have continuity one way and not the other between any two. correct ?
this I will check tomorrow morning.
I appreciate your help with this dilemma I seem to be having. . .
awaiting further instructions. thanks again davidh

Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I rechecked everything again this morning. at the 5P plug that goes to the alternator diodes, three yellow wires, testing each to each other and then reversing the test leads and doing it again, there is no continuity between any of them. nor between any of the three yellow wires and ground. this is with bot 5P plug and regulator plug disconnected and the neg. battery terminal disconnected so the battery is not in the circuit at all. . .
the blue/yel stripe wire on the 5P plug that goes to the ignition pulse generator will make the meter chirp for just an instant then go quiet.
with both plugs still disconnected from the system, I still have a.3amp short that disappears if I pull the "ign" fuse. in other words, no change.
i'll be looking for more ideas. . . thanks again.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Should have continuity between the yellow wires from each other but no ground from other of the yellow wires....If you are checking from alternator to voltage regulator...with harness unpluged...I have to look at manual 2mrw I dont remember blue/yellow wire at voltage regulator 5 pin connector..pin theree should be 3 yellow,one red,one green,,Plz list your color in 5 pin at voltage regulator..What color wires is in the ignition fuse you are removing?Thanks for understanding Im just trying to get on the same page...How do you know ignition fuse?What amp fuse is it?

Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

David Alternator doesnt have diodes!In the atv world alternator is called Stator..thats metal bars with cooper wire winded up around metal bars...Has voltage regulator and recfiter seperate. the diodes are in the voltage regulator[ the fin looking part on frame under right rear fender..So is this what you calling alternator with diodes?

Old 09-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have an honda service manual? if so Ill look at the pages you mention in comment above pages 17-8 and 18-0.I dont have my factory manual here at home but can look 2mrw or bring home 2mrw evening an look at it.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

I went back an read your earlier post so you an 2001 450 correct? is it an std shift or electric shift model?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a c/d copy of the manual. my machine is a 2001 foreman es. . electric shift. the orig. title card says its a 450 so that's the manual I looked for and purchased.

the fuse that make the problem go away is located in the fuse box of 6 behind the battery. the two end fuses are spares and the ign fuse is the one that if removed, stops the short. its a 10 amp. I have the wiring diagram in the book for the ES model. I cannot get my head wrapped around where and what that fuse wire is connected to on the "hot" side. and the lines on the diagram are not as clear as I would like.

as far as colors of the actual wires are, I find the three yellow ones, a green / white one that goes to ground and the other one that goes to the ign.pulse generator.

I see the three coils on the alternator diagram, I thought those were diodes. . . oops, I do know better honest. im just so frustrated with this baby. winter is coming and the snow plow I put on it is pretty important. im looking forward to adding more information tomorrow afternoon. many thanks again.
if email is easier im at tooldocatcheqnetdotnet
davidh

Old 09-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider

Ok David..Did you unplug you combo meter on handlebar? The ES model has an voltage drain there because of the memory of hours,clock, Is meter lens broken or cracked? Go to the meter section in manual..Ill bring mine home thrusday nite an look at it an try to help you get this thing cyber teched for you.Just be patience an DONT get hammer out yet...lol

Old 09-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

well now, could that be what im seeing ? .3 amps ? hummmm. I turned to page 20-11 in the book and the first thing it say is remove the front fenders so im off to do that right now. i will report later this eve. . .

Old 09-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

well I got started on getting the front fenders off tonite and twisted myself just enough to knock my back out of whack. I will attempt tomorrow morning again and do things a little differently, like jack it up, a bunch. more to follow. . . . . .

Quick Reply: short in ignition circuit where to start