Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

short in ignition circuit where to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short in ignition circuit where to start

I have what I always thought was a foreman es 400, the title says 450 but never the less its a 2001 model. computer read out went goofy a few years ago so it won';t tell you what gear its in and hour and miles but has started and ran very well up until this spring. it has a winch and a v-plow and that's about it.
problem is, there is a short in the ignition system circuit. I think I know this because I have removed both accessories hot wires from the system, and taken off the neg. cable from the battery. between the neg terminal and the battery I have a buzzing circuit tester that tells me there is a slight connection making it buzz and the buzz stops when I remove the ign fuse. removing any of the other fuses does not make the buzzer quit. when I turn the ignition on, the buzzing gets much louder, just as it would if I were to go between the two battery terminals directly with the test buzzer. so its a minor (if there is such a thing) short somewhere.
the machine still runs but the battery goes dead in a short period of time and the battery is new. . .
before I tear any more apart on this thing, could someone guide me as to what or where I should start ?
thanks very much for reading this and for any input you might have.
davidh (the old guy)

Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Try to unplug the voltage reg./recf.on right rear under rear fender above the right rear tire..If it has an short will drain batt.and not charge. This is were I would start first..try it an get back with us here..Good Luck

Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to mention that when its running its showing 14+ volts across the battery terminals, therefore I think its charging but I will check the suggested item today and report. thanks again.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, I pulled the plug off the finned metal part, still get the same little steady beep. what next ? and again, thanks. . .

Old 09-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Ok thanks for your test...I read your first post...Have you nplugged your meter U said been bad for bout an year then now you hear an buzzing noise...and discharge batt.?Get an volt meter an check voltage draw between neg,batt,,,disconnect neg,cable put meter leads between batt and neg cable ,see if you have an draw there, set meter on amps,check back in here with us,

Old 09-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have not disconnected anything on this machine, except the neg. battery cable from the battery. that's where ive been sticking the test probe that gives me a little beep. the same little beep comes even with the plug on the top of what I assume is the regulator / diode assembly. its got a ribbed cover on it and a multi circuit plug on top.
tonite I put my super multimeter on the cable / terminal/ where I have had the test probe, to measure the amp draw that's producing the beep. my super meter has a amp selection on it and it read .3 -- .4 amps. now I at least know the draw. . . where should I try tomorrow ?
thanks again. . .

Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

K thats to much IMO...Try to remove one fuse at an time with meter hooked up an see which one has the draw on it.....you said you could unplugged ignition fuse an buzz goes away...See if draw goes away on the same fuse.. If does then unpluged ignition components, cdi, reg/recf., meter on this model...just do one at an time so we can isolated problem...Good Luck ..plz get back here.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Im thinking voltage reg./recfi is were your draw is....But you should be able to narrow down after you do the thing mention above...

Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

this is so hard on old guys with bad backs, sheeesh. I finally got to take off the rh rear tire / wheel and unplugged the reg./ rectifier assembly. the page in the book I have sez check the yellow wires for continuity to ground and yes their is.
then I unplugged the nasty plug that's called the "alternator connector" in the book and checked what I think is the yellow wires for continuity to ground and the resistance between them, it sez .93 ohms across those two.
no continuity on those two wires to ground but what appears to be a green wire does make the meter go beep to ground.
I have both plugs disconnected as described above and I reconnected the circuit tester between the neg. batt terminal and the wire that's disconnected from that terminal and there is still a short. and it goes away when I pull the "ign" fuse.
does that mean the problem is NOT the alternator ?
what next ?

Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Are you calling alternator plug the plug at voltage regulater? I think should be 3 yellow wires, one green, one red.. its an rectrangle plug that plugs to voltage regulator...The alternator plug is round at engine.

Quick Reply: short in ignition circuit where to start