Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rubicon Error Code 7

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rubicon Error Code 7

Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased a 2011 Rubicon. I got a good deal due to the dash not showing a gear position but the bike still runs and shifts as it should (Not in limp mode).

Having had previous experience with this model, I expected it to simply be some form of sensor that had failed. I pulled the fault codes and it was giving me Error Code Seven: ESP Circuit malfunction.

Now this is where the problems lies!! I have checked my shift switch and it is working perfectly as expected. The service manual then calls to check continuity at the black ECM plug in the same way but there is no continuity. I have checked the wires through and there is not continuity from the ES shift switch through the harness to the ECM.

Using the wiring diagram it shows the black/red wire from the ES switch going into the junction 2, linking into the black/orange wire and then going to the ECM plug.

My question is does anyone know where this link is within the wiring harness. Ideally I dont want to plug the whole harness apart to find this small problem.

I have included an image to show exactly what wiring and joint I am referring to. The green circle is the link I refer to and the yellow lines are where I understand continuity to be found.

Also if anyone else has had a similar error and corrected in a different way I would love to help.

Thanks for looking.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default help

i have the same error code showing on mine and i have yet to solve this prob... i reset the computer and it shifts fine and everything works great till i shut it off and restart it and then it does it all over again... anyway if you can figure it out please let me know

Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I have solved the issue. It appears the dash is faulty although I checked this from the start.

Have you got a service manual?

I had to go through every part of the Hondamatic system to determine what was throwing the faults codes. Everything was in spec according to the manual but the front an rear VSS had poor connection.

Once I have cleaned this up the bike stopped showing any fault codes which in turn allowed me to diagnose the faulty dash.

Hope this helps. A service manual is invaluable in trying to fault find.