Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tool Box On Your Rack Instead Of Expensive Bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many of you simply bungee a toolbox to your back rack instead of an expensive bag in order to carry supplies? If so, what size did you buy?

Old 03-28-2001, 10:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I was looking for a toolbox for my wifes quad. I needed something big enough for her to carry her metal detector, fishing pole etc. Most tool boxes were to small. One day i stopped by army-navy store, walked out with a 32inch by 12 inch by 12 inch metal rocket launcher box-20 dollars.

Old 03-28-2001, 11:01 PM
Range Rover

Try registering at Atvstuff dot com as they have a free drawing for rack bags ect each month. That how i got mine and am really happy with it.
And i can't complain about the price either !!

Old 03-31-2001, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

What about a mount for the rear rack of a Foreman that would hold a nice size ice chest? That way I could just bungee strap it closed without worrying about ratcheting it down and having the handles rip off or ratcheting over the top and having to undo it everytime you want to get a "beverage". After too many "beverages" it becomes a pain...

Old 04-01-2001, 12:34 AM
BK
Pro Rider

I just got a 22" long plastic toolbox for $8. I am going to use small U-bolts to attach it to back rack. I got tired of winding tow straps around the rack or bungee cording them down. Now I will just wind it up and toss it in the box. Also for day trips it is plenty big to pack a lunch and a change of clothes. I was going to buy a hard plastic case designed to bungee to back rack, but it was $70. There were a few toolboxes a little bigger but the one I got was a perfect mach color wise.

Old 04-01-2001, 08:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I found in the Northern Tools cat. they had some army surplus boxes . I ordered the metal rocket box ,29x18x9 for 15 $ . I lind ot with 1/2 inch closed cell foam using contact cement and added a pad. lock . I also mounted 2x4 risers on the sides and back so I could slide it back on my rack over the back viertical rack bar witch made a perfict space to stuff a tow rope . I also added a 1 1/2 inch thick x 12 x 8 foam to the front side witch makes a good back rest foor a pass. A lockable metal box for 15$

Old 04-01-2001, 08:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just a word of caution. A buddy of mine had a nice diamond plate aluminun tool box ( home depot, I think )bolted to the rear rack on his foreman. Looked really nice. One day he rolled it down a hill , that nice shiny toolbox did a number on his back. I'll take a cargo bag anytime. Got a good deal on one on ebay. Search using "atv bag" there are a few on there right now.

Trending Topics

Old 04-01-2001, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

For what its worth, walmart has a pretty decent rack bag for like $44
They also carry fender bags and saddlebags n tank bags etc.

Old 04-01-2001, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

Like Danl,I bought a rocket box from Northern Tool & Equipment Co. I want to store my winch strap, ****** block, air compressor, and tire repair kit in something more secure than a nylon bag . Before I mount it, I'll get it coated inside and out with that goop they put on pickup truck beds. This will prevent rust and it won't make such a racket when branches hit it. It'll fit on either end of my Kodiak Y2K, but it'll go on the front. Forward visibilty will be OK because the box is only 9" tall,and the extra weight in front of the handlebars is a good thing when going up steep grades.