Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Hauling ATV'S in Enclosed trailer

Old 09-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling ATV'S in Enclosed trailer

Hey, First time poster here, just looking to see if anyone has hauled ATV'S in an enclosed trailer by stacking them on top of one another. We have considered taking the wheels off the bottom one to allow for room, offsetting them partially side by side to set the top ones wheels on the seat/racks, and having the top one sit backwards compared to the bottom one to allow for the height of handle bars. Just wanna see if there is anyone out there who has heard of this or done it and has any suggestions. Any thoughts on if it would make the trailer too top heavy? Maybe i am crazy but i think it could be done to save some space as we are planning on a hunting trip.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never heard of it being done but I suppose anything is possible.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rather stack them up on end. They end up with frint wheels in the air, sitting on rear wheels and rear rack. Sounds like a lot of lifting and a good chance to damage some in transit your way.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also suppose you could do it but it sounds like a lot of work to me. Good chance something will get bent or broken too. You can probably actually use the racks on the quads to haul some of your stuff. You can strap containers to the racks and utilize space that would normally be wasted. Those plastic rubbermaid containers could easily be stacked 2 high or more depending on weight of stuff in them. You can even utilize the floorboards and put smaller containers on those as well. Flatter items could be slid underneath the quads. Utilizing all your available space I think would be a better idea than trying to stack quads on top of each other. If the trailer has shelving, definitely put as much as you can in there as well.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah maybe it was just a crazy thought i had dreamed up. I just wanted to see if anyone out there had done it before.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well to answer your question, yes. I tried it with a toyhauler using one of the lifts that normally is used for lifting a bed into the ceiling. That is when I found out they are rated for 300 lbs. Yeah, not a good idea. Oh it lifted a kids machine up, but what I also found out was modern full size machines are pretty tall to begin with, and about all you could get on top would be a kids machine, and they are nearly 48 inches. So unless you have a custom built trailer that has added ceiling height you are already in trouble. Also I am assuming you are talking a car hauler. Now there are a few makers out there that WILL build a taller trailer. But they bring a whole different set of issues. I know, I have one in my driveway. Inside height is 8 ft. That tuns into 11 ft total height, and even with a v-nose, that is a lot of air you are pushing down the road. They handle wicked in wind. Definitely a white knuckle affair. I have hauled enclosed and open. I prefer open now that I am older and wiser. SOOOOO much easier to load and tie down and you don't have to be a human worm crawling all around inside the trailer too. Not to mention they are lighter, easier to tow etc.