Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tire buying time.. Size/Brand recommendations needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire buying time.. Size/Brand recommendations needed

2 part question....

I just bought a used 05 Rancher 350 2wd with the Big Foot wheel/tire package, and I need new tires for the rear. The person I bought from showed me the original sales receipt when it was new, with the "Big Foot Package" added - I don't know if that was common or not. I'm guessing it's just the larger aluminum wheels and tires.

It has 26x12x12 MudLites on the rear now - one of them won't hold air... I took it to a local shop to have it fixed, and their guy said there were too many places to fix - cracks around the lugs, etc (he'd recommend replacing them since they are pretty worn too).

He didn't have anything that large in stock, and I don't know if that influenced what he told me or not, but he told me 26x12x12 was too much rear tire for a 350.

Q1 - Since I'm assuming it's had this tire/wheel size on it from day 1, should I be concerned about having this big of a tire on this quad? I've only ridden for a short pre-purchase test ride, and it was plenty powerful for me, so tire weight slowing it down isn't the issue.

Q2 - for almost exclusively trail riding, probably very little mud playing and probably no deep mud, what tire would you recommend without breaking the bank? (I'm blown away looking at some of these tire prices) I called another local shop who recommended Kenda Bear Claws as an alternative to the Mud Lites.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Exclamation

According to TireDirect.com, this should have come with 25-11-10 on the rear or anyway that is the standard size without a "package".

Old 01-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would look at the Kenda Executioner. I believe the 25-10-12 version is about 80-90 a piece and they last quite awhile. A family member has ran them on his prairie 360 for almost 3 years I believe and they are a great tire for all terrains due to the paddle design

Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

you should be fine with a 26 but i'd probably put 25s on it

Old 01-11-2014, 11:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

for almost exclusively trail riding, probably very little mud playing and probably no deep mud
Since Your not doing anything nasty. I,d stay with 25" tires with mid aggressive lugs for smoothest.
Their is a down side to larger aggressive tires. More weight for the motor to turn means power speed loss and aggressive tires are a rougher ride over harder packed trails.

The newer larger motored 420 Rancher only comes stock with 24" tires.

I put over sized aggressive 26" tires on my 350 but the trails up here are slow, sloppy and nasty.

What some people do not know about Mudlites is their are 3 types.

Mudlite "AT" with a shorter lug for general trail riding.
Mudlite "XL" with a taller lug for trail plus muddy sections.
Mudlite "XXL" with a very tall lug for very muddy rides.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TLC
Since Your not doing anything nasty. I,d stay with 25" tires with mid aggressive lugs for smoothest.
Their is a down side to larger aggressive tires. More weight for the motor to turn means power speed loss and aggressive tires are a rougher ride over harder packed trails.

The newer larger motored 420 Rancher only comes stock with 24" tires.

I put over sized aggressive 26" tires on my 350 but the trails up here are slow, sloppy and nasty.

What some people do not know about Mudlites is their are 3 types.

Mudlite "AT" with a shorter lug for general trail riding.
Mudlite "XL" with a taller lug for trail plus muddy sections.
Mudlite "XXL" with a very tall lug for very muddy rides.
You forgot about mud lite XTR which is radial, not sure in the weight or lug size on them tho

Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

Take a look at the Kenda Bear claws..radials..light an great reviews....8 ply also....havwe not seen a bad review yet..i been researching tires to the way I ride..and seems kenda was tops...I am going with the 26x12's
9 in front an 11 on rear for width....

its a lite tire for your 350...

Old 01-12-2014, 01:06 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Here is a good site I use for tire specs. They tell you the Lug height the ply and the weight. ATV Mud Tires : Best ATV Tires
It is why I chose maxxis Zilla they where the lightest 6ply tire with a aggressive mud lug out there.

A 26x11-12 Zilla with a tall 1.19" lug weighs the same as a smaller Mudlite 25x10-12 XL with a shorter lug.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I actually bought 26x12x12 Sedona Mud Rebels - I liked the way they looked, and they were $30 ea less than the Mud Lites... But they rubbed the fender flare (edge of the flare, bottom front - right behind floorboard). Luckily, the shop was very understanding and let me return them for 25x10x12 Mud Lites - they fit great, and it looks better like this anyway. Got to ride a little yesterday and they are going to be plenty of tire for me.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Did you get the (AT) or (XL) mud lites?

Quick Reply: Tire buying time.. Size/Brand recommendations needed