Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Jumping Techniques...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 12:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

round the turn, tach out 2nd, hit third and strike if for the low end torque. slack off just a bit before the bottom of the jump and then lay into it as you are going up, dont give it all, just a good thump on the throttle until your front tires leave the ground then let off. in the air you can change a little, but how you land really depends on how you take off. in the air, first thing I do is downshift to make sure that when you land you have torque enough to pick back up and run another lap!

its a feeling thing, you can really tell someone how to do it anymore than what you read here, start small and every lap get a little higher. dont try to go to big after a lot of jumps when you are tired, you have less control when you land it kinda flops you around.

anyhow, later

91 TRX350X 250 w/ conversion
85 ATC250R wow..
86 200x

Old 04-03-2001, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

Best thing I could tell you is too practice compressing your shocks like what was mentioned in an earlier post. Before I forget, i liked that comment earlier about "Rubber side down". Funny...he he he.

Old 04-03-2001, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

I think I remember reading you have a 400EX. So do I so I will tell you some of my experiences with it. I have done alot of jumping especially on mx bikes. So I had a good idea of where to start when I got my 400EX.

Tabletops are a good jump to learn on there isnt a high penalty for failure and unlike a double if you get air and fall into the gap and get your teeth knocked out.

If you are light like me under 160lbs. then the your rebound is probably too fast. On small kickers that I would hit full throttle in 4th it would spring my bike up on the front wheels so I made some adjustments stiffened the compression and slowed the rebound on the rear shock. On the front I have TCS and plan to get the rear sometime soon.

Suspension is so critical to jumping and overall going fast. Setup time is important and being comfortable with your machine and what you can do with it makes all the difference.

Racing so many different tracks on mx bikes I have developed the ability to envision what it will take to clear a certain jump(of course just like the weatherman I am not 100% correct". The more different types of jumps you do the better you will be at gauging a jump and what it takes to clear it. Like most have said before me take it easy and work your way up.

Another thing is I dont know what kind of jumps you have access to, but it is always beneficial to go to professional maintained mx tracks you should be able to find a few jumps to start on there and some to work up to as well.

The last thing I would say is for like smaller jumps less than 40 ft. I like 3rd gear and I dont rev the crap out of my bike I let it build up revs and just before I get airborn I let off the throttle. On bigger jumps I use the same basic tecnique but prefer 4th gear unless it is a steep climb to the approach like an uphill jump or a camel back.

Sorry to go on so long. It is just there is so much to jumping, but your experience will be the most important factor.

Adam Smith

99 400EX

Old 04-03-2001, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

What does everyone suggest for getting rid of the fear factor? I used to do alot of freestyle jumping on bikes when i was about 15 so i'm used to it but for some reason i get scared sh** when it comes time to jump the quad. How long did it take for the rest of you to get over it and start jumping big stuff? Orrrrr do you all still have that fear?

Old 04-04-2001, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

i am still scared a little bit. but not nearly as i was before. my friend ben is almost fearless. he took these huge jumps then he'd tell me to do them. i was really scared but i'd just force myself to do it. and when i did it felt great and the craving for that adrenaline rush is what kept me doin it.