Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Jumping Techniques...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone school us on the proper way to catch killer air? I'm up to about 3 feet (back wheels)- and I know it's nothing compaired to the pro's- but I'm just learning- ...and mostly trying to get past the fear factor. I've heard you can tap your brake to drop the nose and accelerate to bring the front up-... but how about proper stance (or sitting)-

Any advise would be helpful

Old 04-01-2001, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

heres how i like to do it:
first i take a couple practice jumps gradually getting higher and higher.
when i'm in the air i get off the gas and i only use it if i need to bring the front end up. i stand up on the pegs and i'm leaning slightly forward (i think) once your in the air u just have to do what feels natural. if you want big air compress yoru shocks right before you go off the jump so that they kind of act like a spring to launch you off. and always wear your gear!

Old 04-01-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Alot of it depends on the size & profile of the jump but basically you will usually want to stand up as you hit the bottom of the jump. Accelerate until you are in the air and then back off the throtle. Don't chop the trottle as you leave the jump as this will make you nose dive. Also, don't continue to rev the motor in the air, as this will make the rear wheels drop. Keep your knees and arm bent and use your arms and legs as part of the suspention (i.e. suck up the impact of the landing with your arms & legs). You can sit back down AFTER you land. Above all, stay loose and relaxed.

You didn't say what you're riding, so I'm assuming you're on a 300 or 400EX or a 250R. If your on something like a Rancher or Recon you don't want to go for any doubles.

Old 04-01-2001, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

relax is good....move with the bike

stance depends on what you are doing before hand......make sure you are standing.....legs make good suspension

the accelerator thing is true

you can bring the front down by hitting the back break......i think

you may prove you can jump something wicked.......just remember things break

Old 04-02-2001, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider

when I'm jumping I usually bring the rear tires down just before landing. to do this I tap the throttle just before hitting the ground. I've never had to tap the brake to bring the nose down yet, usually just letting off the gas will bring it down some.

start small and work your way up. don't worry about all the "in the air control" yet, just make sure you're in control before taking off.

Old 04-02-2001, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider

I asked this question a while ago.
Might try searching jumping tips under the honda forum

Old 04-02-2001, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

You didn't say what kind of bike you ride. One of the magazines recently had an article on 4-stroke performance. They said that a "panic rev" (to keep the front end up) is really bad for a 4-stroke engine. So, I was thinking, what about the landing? I'm heavy and I have to approach a jump rather slowly. About 10 ft. before the ramp I pin the throttle and leave the top of the jump at max. RPM. If I don't do it like this the nose will pitch in. I HAVE TO TORQUE IT OFF THE TOP OR I AM DEAD!! I let the throtle off while in the air and land rear wheels first, counting on the engine compression to slow the back wheels and pull the front end down. So then, the engine is going from idle to pretty fast in that second when the rear wheels touch down. Am I ruining my engine?? What does everybody else do? Do you pull in your clutch as you land?

On a 2-stroke, I approach the jump faster, then I blip the throtle at the bottom of the ramp, and chop the power before I leave the top of the jump. Then I land with the throtle off to pull down the front end, just like the 4-stroke. What do the rest of you do??

Old 04-02-2001, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

The greatest ramping advise I ever recieved was when I firs started riding. Here it is-- RUBBER SIDE DOWN.

Old 04-02-2001, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

I think As long as U have a rev limiter on your machine That It will be alright to land with the throttle on.I have a jump in my feild i hit tapped in 4th on my 300ex.(It is only about 3 foot tall and not steep)That I land without the throttle all the time.I have a 300ex.

86 trx250rto many mods to list
97 300ex

Old 04-02-2001, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

Definitely do not land with the throttle on too much. Too much gas, especially with a four stroke will put all kinds of tourque on your chain and bad, bad things will happen. You can level your bike in the air by using throttle and brake. I know it sounds wierd, but believe me it works. Ask dirtclog about the time I over corrected with my brake. Any ways it's all in the feel. Start small and work your way up. If it doesn't feel right it's probably not. Just abort and make another run at it.

Safe jumping

Quick Reply: Jumping Techniques...