Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

90hp 2 stroke fuel delivery issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90hp 2 stroke fuel delivery issues?

Bought a 90 two stroke atv project a few days ago and have run into a snag.
The spark is excellent, compression good, plug new, and the carb is brand new also- fuel flows freely to the bowl.

Tried kicking her on today and got nothing. Did a few plug chops and it's bone dry. When I put my hand on the carb mouth it is sucking hard, good vacuum. Also, the inside of the carb is wet, which makes me think fuel is flowing.
I even tried shooting gas directly into the carb boot (through the carb)... still dry plug.

I have plenty of experience working on 2 stroke outboards and 4 stroke bikes, but little experience with 2 stroke atvs. There must be a reed valve system in place, maybe that's the issue?

Ideas? Thank you

Old 11-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

If the carb bowl is full of fuel....That would be my next stop on the check list too (the reeds). Check for proper sealing and for any cracks. Sometimes you can flip the reed over and it will seal better. Ensure the gasket is not torn or leaking. Compression, spark, and fuel.....what else do you need

Also, if you didnt replace the carb yourself I might go through it to ensure both jets are installed and the settings are close on the adjustments screws[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Old 11-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Decided to do a top-end rb on it and discovered that the rings were worn down to nothing, and one had sheared at some point (I can hear it rattling around in the expansion chamber), likely **** poor compression. Lesson learned: never trust a stranger's claim to solid compression.
Just waiting on the rings now and we'll see what happens.
Checked the reeds last night, they look like they were installed yesterday, so that's good news.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Also may want to do an leak down test and make sure crankshaft bearings and seal are good to make sure dont have an lower end case leak before reassemble..