Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250ex hop-ups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fella's....

Just bought the wife a 250ex and I'm having trouble beefing it up- I'm hearing White Bro's won't come out with a pipe for another 2 months- and I'm not sure If I can even find a K&N airfilter for it. Also- a rev box would be nice too.

Have you guys heard of anything?

By the way- I took the airbox lid off... and it made a HUGE difference. I was suprised at the power I gained. When I removed the airbox lid on my 400ex- there was a gain in power... but not as substantial as the gain I got on the 250ex.

I'm thinking about putting the stock tires from my 400ex on the 250ex. I'm not so sure I like those stock tall/round tires on the 250ex... it looks too tipsy.

Peace out-

Old 04-12-2001, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

I drilled the airbox first thing, and also noticed a big difference! There is a K&N available for the Recon, and it should work on the 250. I don't know what you do with the crankcase breather though, if you swith to K&N?? The stock filter presses against the breather and keeps it clean (a great system I think). I guess you could put an in line filter on or something.

I tried all kinds of tire combinations. I hated the stock ones. The bike pushes (understeers) in turns and it's a little tippy. First I put on Holeshot 21" front and 20" rear. They were ok and it gave the bike a more torquey feel, but the pushing was still there! I settled on Holeshot 22" (XC) front and 22" (XCT) rear (a lot of tire for a little bike), mounted on wider then stock ITP rims. It completely cured both the tippiness and pushing!

I'm going to put on an FMF MegaMax II when they come out. I put this pipe on a Recon and it made a BIG difference. That's all I'm going to do to the 250. It's my daughters bike, and I don't think it has the suspension to handle any more power.

Old 04-12-2001, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we reversed the front rims on my girlfriends 250EX... it made a great difference!

Old 04-12-2001, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

YZGuy,

When you refer to the stock 250ex stock filter pushing against a "breather"-... I'm not sure what you are talking about- I had the filter off, and can't seem to find the "breather". There is a bolt/hinge mechanism holding the filter in place- and looking in the filter I see a cylinder inside.... but that's it. Can you explain this?

Also- I found a company that has a K&N air filter for the 250ex...

Old 04-12-2001, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

What do you mean reverse the front rims... do you mean flip them over so the inside is now pointing outside? I can't imagine why this would help. Can you explain this?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2001, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

I've asked about this in the forum before and never got any reply. I have a Rancher and Recon and they have the same system too, so I assume other bikes (utilities) use it also??? I don't have the bike in front of me (so I'm working from memory), but if you take the air filter off there is a "slot" (can't think of a better word) with a small foam filter in it. A tube form there goes to the crankcase. The air filter presses against the slot and that is what keeps it clean. It's easy to see when your air filter is REALLY DIRTY. There will be a CLEAN SPOT on the dirty filter where it pressed against the slot. The K&N won't be able to press against it (I presume) and keep it clean. It would be a big mistake to just ignore this because I think it would easily let dirt into the engine!! Perhaps an in-line filter in the breather tube would do the trick??

WHAT DO YOU K&N USERS DO??????????

Old 04-14-2001, 01:05 PM
Range Rover

dsapp. how do you plug old valve stem holes? Can you tell me where to get the plugs?

Old 04-14-2001, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

RotGut...When you removed the airbox lid did you have to rejet your bike. Im thinking a bout doing this mod but not sure about the jetting...thanks

2001 250 EX
Colorado...You wish you lived here!

Old 04-14-2001, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

big gun makes a nice pipe 4 the 250 EX

Old 04-16-2001, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Is that BIG GUN pipe available for purchase as we speak?-... or will it soon be out. I didn't thin any companies had a pipe (just yet). I heard White Bros' will have a pipe in a few months. I got a WB on my 400ex and LOVE IT... I want the same for the 250ex.

Quick Reply: 250ex hop-ups?