Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Setting a limit for kids and unskilled adults.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Setting a limit for kids and unskilled adults.

I'm in the process of acquiring a Foreman and a Rancher (they are part of the package in a real estate purchase). I'm new to the ATV world. I have two kids, 10 and 12 who I want to teach to ride, but want to limit their top speed until I'm certain they have good riding skills. It there a simple way to set a limit on either of these that's fairly easy to change between riders?

Old 02-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by winedude
I'm in the process of acquiring a Foreman and a Rancher (they are part of the package in a real estate purchase). I'm new to the ATV world. I have two kids, 10 and 12 who I want to teach to ride, but want to limit their top speed until I'm certain they have good riding skills. It there a simple way to set a limit on either of these that's fairly easy to change between riders?
On most ATV's, there is a thumb throttle movement limiter screw installed into the throttle housing but I'm not sure if your Hondas have these or not.... Look at the thumb throttle on each machine....on the "front" of the throttle, there should ( could ) be a phillips ( four way ) screw and probably an 8mm locking nut. If your Honda's have this adjuster, loosen up the locking nut, then turn the screw inward...torward the thumb throttle....this will limit the "revs".... But again, not sure if your Hondas have these or not. If they do not have these, there are other ways to accomplish the task...but more complex.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

there is a simple screw on the thumb throttle to limit throttle movement. i have used it for younger riders and it works well. i should have used for some adults also!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by winedude
Congrats! The kids will be fine

Old 03-09-2016, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you able to adjust them?

Old 03-09-2016, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Johnny Mac
Congrats! The kids will be fine
^^^^?

Old 03-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bengear90
Did you able to adjust them?
I don't think so...The coulpe of Hondas that I have had in the shop didn't have the thumb throttle screw limiter. I also looked up some Ranchers and Foremans.....several years, they didn't have them either....

Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On manual shift machines, you can simply instruct them to to not exceed 3rd gear. About 25 mph max is what either of them will go in 3rd gear. Unless the Rancher is an auto model, then that won't work.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
On manual shift machines, you can simply instruct them to to not exceed 3rd gear. About 25 mph max is what either of them will go in 3rd gear. Unless the Rancher is an auto model, then that won't work.
^^^^^ Good idea, I hadn't thought about that. Another might be to put the ATV in second gear..., and just leave it there and don't tell them it has any gears. If they are fairly light kids, shouldn't hurt the ATV.....

Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a Rancher 350 and it would take off fine with my 205 lbs in 3rd gear so either of these quads should have no trouble taking off in 2nd or 3rd gear with a much lighter rider. 2nd gear might be even better, that limits you to about 15-16 mph. That's faster than you think for trail riding.

Quick Reply: Setting a limit for kids and unskilled adults.