Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Fix on problem...get another

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix on problem...get another

Alright, so I have another question I could really use help on...again.

We were out on the trail riding yesterday and my 2003 400 EX was running fine. We stopped, I turned off the ignition, and it wouldn't start again.

When I turn the key on, I get nothing. No power, no lights, no starter, etc. I can stil hook the bike up to another ATV and pull start it however. When I do that and get it running, I do notice the lights flicker some, and here is the real kicker....if I turn the lights off the neutral switch goes off as well.

I have been searching online and looking at the wiring to try and figure out what could have gone wrong...without a lot of luck.

Like I said, it can be pull started and runs, but if you just turn the key in the ignition to on, you get absolutely nothing.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest thing to do first, if you haven't already, is to check the connections to the battery and make sure they are tight. Then check the battery. Just because the battery shows 12+ volts, doesn't mean it is good. Try out a battery that you know is good. If the battery is good then check all of your connections. What you are describing sounds like a bad connection somewhere in the harness. Funny thing about ATV batteries is they generally fail without warning, but there is usually enough juice to power the neutral light or headlight.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by nachop
The easiest thing to do first, if you haven't already, is to check the connections to the battery and make sure they are tight. Then check the battery. Just because the battery shows 12+ volts, doesn't mean it is good. Try out a battery that you know is good. If the battery is good then check all of your connections. What you are describing sounds like a bad connection somewhere in the harness. Funny thing about ATV batteries is they generally fail without warning, but there is usually enough juice to power the neutral light or headlight.
^^^^^Yes .....the battery connections would be the first place to look. And ensure the negative cable is grounded well to the engine....and the connection is clean. Also check the fuses and ensure they are clean, and the holders are clean, and not corroded.

By the way....did you get it running correctly...the carb issue?

Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by nachop
Thanks for the advice. I checked the battery, no issues there. I have checked the connections and cannot find any sort of bad connections. I didn't tear apart the all the electrical tape though and check each individual wire as it runs down the machine, should I? Seems unlikely a wire is broke behind there, they are all held together pretty tight.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
^^^^^Yes .....the battery connections would be the first place to look. And ensure the negative cable is grounded well to the engine....and the connection is clean. Also check the fuses and ensure they are clean, and the holders are clean, and not corroded.

By the way....did you get it running correctly...the carb issue?
Fuses are good and clean, thanks for the advice. I forgot to check the negative cable to ensure it is grounded properly. I will have some time this weekend and check it then. You are referring to where it comes off the negative side of the battery somewhere correct? One of those wires goes to the engine as a ground?

Carbs are good, thanks! I do still need to order the bigger main jet though, it went on the back burner once my entire ATV stopped working...

Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know that the battery is good, as Fasteratv suggested, check your fuses. Then check on/off/light switch on the handlebars and the keyed ignition switch as well.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I realized I never said thanks for the help to everyone. I did find the problem, you guys were right. There was a spot where the ground wire had broke (I guess I missed it the first few times).

Sure enough I finally found it, fixed it, and problem solved. Thanks again!