Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2000 honda rancher es 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 honda rancher es 350

Hello all im new here ok so i have a 2000 honda rancher es 350 that had voltage through ground 9 volts with keyy off 11 volts with key on i pulled the fuses when i pulled the 30amp main to draw went away so ive checked and checked and nothing started unplugging plugs well cone to find out all i can have pulled it is the key switch,start switch,electric shift motor,shift angle sensor coil and fan if i plug in anything else i get the draw now my ecu is new stator new rectifier new key switch new start button new cdi and icm new shift angle sensor new shift motor new coil new.....
gear postion sensor wont ohm out and the so called new harness i got has like 20 splices in it so i ruled it to be shorted out.
Now my problem is i have no battery and no harness on atv and the ground ohms out when i touch the positive wire from starter i unhook ground from engine it doesnt ohm out but i still have the draw i tryed that can i bypass the engine ground what do yall think i didnt have a draw issue till i got this so called new harness can anyone please help me

Old 10-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you will get more help here on your post

Old 10-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
you will get more help here on your post
Ok got it all back together i can have everything pluged in but the speedometer rectifier ecu for electric shift icm and and the ecu clicks 3 times with key on...

Old 10-01-2016, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello so now i have everything back together everything plugged in and i get the draw but i can unplug the ecu (shift change unit) rectifier cdi and igniter and the speedometer and draw gos away but the positive and ground still ohm out untill i unhook the green grounds from frame that go into harness now the harness will ohm out im not understanding whats going on i think the starter is shorting out im gonna buy all new stuff i mentioned about being unhooked and a new harness if that doesnt work then idk whats going on

Old 10-02-2016, 02:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm fairly sure you should get the starter motor live terminal showing a connection to earth, it is a motor, and will be connected through the armature wires. Testing for a battery drain is done by disconnecting the live lead on battery and connecting either a fairly big ammeter, or a test lamp between battery live terminal and the lead that goes to it. If you get a fairly large current drain with ignition off, the short is between the battery live and the ignition switch. 99 times out of 100 it is the voltage regulator, unplug it and, if the drain goes away, you have found the fault. If the drain stays on, check wire from battery to ignition switch. You will get a drain with ignition on as the dash etc, takes some power.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
I'm fairly sure you should get the starter motor live terminal showing a connection to earth, it is a motor, and will be connected through the armature wires. Testing for a battery drain is done by disconnecting the live lead on battery and connecting either a fairly big ammeter, or a test lamp between battery live terminal and the lead that goes to it. If you get a fairly large current drain with ignition off, the short is between the battery live and the ignition switch. 99 times out of 100 it is the voltage regulator, unplug it and, if the drain goes away, you have found the fault. If the drain stays on, check wire from battery to ignition switch. You will get a drain with ignition on as the dash etc, takes some power.
Ive checked everything a ground isnt going to have voltage going through it 9 with the key off 11 with the key on and a ground shouldnt ohm out to a positive wire and with the ecu rectifier cdi and igniter unpluged i have no draw just the positive and ground ohming out untill i unhook groun from frame that comes out the harness