Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex rebuild on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex rebuild on a budget

I was doing a long wheelie last night, and when i put it down at the end of the road my friend told me all they smelled was burnt oil. I tore the top end down, the rings are rounded a little and most importantly there is a little lip in the cylinder i can catch my finger nail on. I am thinking 416, (already has a 406 when i bought it) but im on a budget. thoughts on the route i should take?

Old 12-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

When it comes to rebuilding engines and other mechanical devices, being on a budget usually costs more money in the long run. At 66 yrs of age I can tell you from experience...do it correctly the first time with quality parts or continue doing it over and over!! Go ahead and ask me how I know??

Old 12-29-2016, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

I find, on quads, the rings wear a lot faster than the bore. If you take the cylinder to a reputable machinist and get them to check the bore, you may get away with new rings and the bore honed. I am also dubious about the quality of aftermarket rings and pistons, the only times that I have had problems getting the cylinder back onto the piston was the couple of times I have used non genuine rings. I do use cheap gasket sets, so far with no problems.

Incidentally during a wheelie you could get smoke when the engine is fine. It is built to drain oil downwards, also breathers can be blocked by oil flowing into the chambers at the rear of the engine during a wheelie. The whole lubrication system is disrupted if the engine is tilted above an angle it would normally run at.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Unless it was down on power and has low compression, it may be ok for a long time. I mean, ATV motors can last a long time.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input. I pulled it apart and found some things out. the cylinder has a little lip that i can catch my fingernail on. So I am planning a 416 weisco 11:1 piston ($168) and am gunna find a shop to bore my cylinder. With a tusk gasket kit for $20 I will be in for under 300. I am also pulling my valves to reseat them and removing carbon build up with an old port and polish kit. One last question, what should my jetting look like? I have a sparks full system w/ an open airbox, k&n with prefilter. 155 and 42 currently. What jets should i have for these mods and a 416?