Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question about Purchasing new Honda 2016 FourTrax foreman

Old 03-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaR24
Greg, I wasn't directing that to you, pointing out real differences and options while stating opinions is helpful, I was more referring to the comments like "look at used sales of hondas with automatic trans right after the warranty is up, people want to get rid of them right after warranty so they don't get hit with expensive repairs", obviously that's not true
its cool. I didn't take it like that anyway. I've owned every brand except canam and Arctic cat. I buy used so I go for the best deal usually, best bang for the buck so to say.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=HondaR24;3354624]You have to be careful asking a forum for purchasing help, folks tend to recommend what they have, bash what they have little to no experience with, all while spreading myths in the process. Best to do your own research.

That is why I recommended looking at Honda forums and see what the owners have to say about their own machines!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I have never owned an ATV before so that is why I was looking for feedback. Definitely going for the power steering option. The main reason I want to get the four trax over other models (I know this is the dumbest reason ever) is because I like the looks of the 2016 models that are orange. Now the problem I run into is emailing the dealers trying to get an accurate OTD price versus what they post on the listing pages is quite a chore. Many dealers seem to stack hundreds and sometimes well over $1k in fees on top of their advertised prices.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greg74
You can get the Rubicon and have the option of either fully auto or ES shifting if you want. Honda makes solid, reliable machines but if I were buying new, they would be way down on the list. For the same price(or less) you can buy a competitor's machine that is fully auto with cvt, diff-lock, irs, power steering and more power along with more towing and hauling capacity. The only thing Honda makes any more that impresses me is the Pioneer 1000 utv. The Yamaha Kodiak and Can-Am Outlander L series are 2 I would seriously look at. Arctic Cat has a new entry level 700cc utility quad called the VLX 700. It lacks the fancy display pod the other models have, just lights telling you what gear you're in, no speedo or odometer. But it retails at $5999 so most likely you can get it for less, no quad ever sells for retail price. The 695cc single cylinder is a proven engine and makes more power than any engine Honda has ever put in a utility quad, considerably more. It does lack diff-lock and power steering isn't an option but for the price, I think its a good value.
Great response and could not agree more!

With that said there is nothing stupid about liking the look of something as you're the one who will be driving it and you're the one who will be paying for it!

I just bought a bike to get back into the sport, yellow Honda cause I always wanted a yellow Honda as a main point. The second part is this bike is not much different from my 2001 for general maintenance! I think when I took the plastics off there may have been 6 body clips that were different and the oil change. The front suspension, rear , cables and breaks from what I can recall the same and the compfort level meant a lot!

If I was buying new, the Kawasaki 650 would be getting a hard look but keeping my ATV a side by side is most likely my next purchase.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jacads
Thanks for the input guys. I have never owned an ATV before so that is why I was looking for feedback. Definitely going for the power steering option. The main reason I want to get the four trax over other models (I know this is the dumbest reason ever) is because I like the looks of the 2016 models that are orange. Now the problem I run into is emailing the dealers trying to get an accurate OTD price versus what they post on the listing pages is quite a chore. Many dealers seem to stack hundreds and sometimes well over $1k in fees on top of their advertised prices.
An extra K is pretty standard. There's always freight, set up, title transfer and taxes. The markup is less for used units as the first 2 don't need to be done on a used unit.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Great response and could not agree more!

With that said there is nothing stupid about liking the look of something as you're the one who will be driving it and you're the one who will be paying for it!

I just bought a bike to get back into the sport, yellow Honda cause I always wanted a yellow Honda as a main point. The second part is this bike is not much different from my 2001 for general maintenance! I think when I took the plastics off there may have been 6 body clips that were different and the oil change. The front suspension, rear , cables and breaks from what I can recall the same and the compfort level meant a lot!

If I was buying new, the Kawasaki 650 would be getting a hard look but keeping my ATV a side by side is most likely my next purchase.
I'm likely to go the side by side route next too. I'll be getting used, the new ones are insanely expensive. A local dealer has a used 2008 Teryx that nobody seems to want to buy for about $5000. The cold weather and the fact that it was the first year of the Teryx and still has the dual carbs instead of efi might be the reason nobody has bitten on it yet. Its hard to find any used utv in decent shape for that price. I could trade in my Brute Force and add about 2 grand and I could buy it. The longer I see it hasn't sold, the more I think about buying it. Kawasaki no longer makes the 650 like mine, I think 2013 was the last year of either 650 model. The Brute force 750 is the only 4x4 left, which would be an outstanding choice for a new quad. They also make the Brute Force 300, which is a mid-size 2wd quad.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm likely to go the side by side route next too. I'll be getting used, the new ones are insanely expensive. A local dealer has a used 2008 Teryx that nobody seems to want to buy for about $5000. The cold weather and the fact that it was the first year of the Teryx and still has the dual carbs instead of efi might be the reason nobody has bitten on it yet. Its hard to find any used utv in decent shape for that price. I could trade in my Brute Force and add about 2 grand and I could buy it. The longer I see it hasn't sold, the more I think about buying it. Kawasaki no longer makes the 650 like mine, I think 2013 was the last year of either 650 model. The Brute force 750 is the only 4x4 left, which would be an outstanding choice for a new quad. They also make the Brute Force 300, which is a mid-size 2wd quad.
That will tell you how long it's been since I looked at new ATVs, lol! The 300 would be too small for my fluffy status but the 750 would possibly be right up my alley. (Will add the 650 brute was the other bike on my used list, the Honda came up at the right price first)

On the Side by side topic I think the reason behind few used ones, for the most part what you see out there are newer used machines based on buyers remorse or the younger guy not happy with the speed. The side by side market I think is primarily dominated by the 40 something who knows what they want and the specific need it will serve. Those being bought are by guys who will be happy with them for many years with the odd few who will opt for an upgrade based on a nice upgrade in options/performance. For the most part though the side by sides have not advanced much in the past few years. My father in law has a Viking, awesome machine and I do not think you will ever see it for sale used!

Old 03-13-2017, 02:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Viking is a nice machine, I like the Wolverine too. I can buy a brand new Wolverine without power steering for about 9 grand, about 10 if I want eps, plus fees of course. The Teryx has more power but the speed is limited to about 50 mph, or about the same top speed as the Viking and Wolverine. I'd even consider the Kymco 450i utv if I were to buy new, I've seen them under 8 grand brand new. I like the smaller size of the 450i and its almost as fast as those other 3. That 450 engine is pretty peppy for its size.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

The Viking is a nice machine, I like the Wolverine too. I can buy a brand new Wolverine without power steering for about 9 grand, about 10 if I want eps, plus fees of course. The Teryx has more power but the speed is limited to about 50 mph, or about the same top speed as the Viking and Wolverine. I'd even consider the Kymco 450i utv if I were to buy new, I've seen them under 8 grand brand new. I like the smaller size of the 450i and its almost as fast as those other 3. That 450 engine is pretty peppy for its size.

And no need for power steering I might add, even in 4wd with diff lock on I can steer with two fingers. I understand there is an aftermarket PS unit availiable but they don't seem to be selling and I can see why.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

They no longer make the 300 in 4wd? Shame, I had a Praire 300 4wd for 16 yrs without a single issue. Rode it for 2800 miles and plowed a 300 ft driveway every winter, great machine!!

Search this Thread