Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question about Purchasing new Honda 2016 FourTrax foreman

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jacads
Thanks for the input guys. I have never owned an ATV before so that is why I was looking for feedback. Definitely going for the power steering option. The main reason I want to get the four trax over other models (I know this is the dumbest reason ever) is because I like the looks of the 2016 models that are orange. Now the problem I run into is emailing the dealers trying to get an accurate OTD price versus what they post on the listing pages is quite a chore. Many dealers seem to stack hundreds and sometimes well over $1k in fees on top of their advertised prices.

Depending on where the dealer is located, freight can be close to 800 bucks then add in dealer setup. These things come in a crate and it does take from a few hours to a day to put things together and then uncle sam and all his relatives need to get there cut. I have bought quite a few toys in my lifetime and have found that money talks. I always carry at least a grand with me when I go to a dealer and if things get serious I wave that in front of there nose and the smell of money wakes up a lot of salesman.
If I read your post correctly and your emailing to get prices they probably don't think your serious and won't give you a good price. Unfortunately you have to be face to face with them to let them know how serious you are in buying and sometimes that means some serious driving time!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
The Viking is a nice machine, I like the Wolverine too. I can buy a brand new Wolverine without power steering for about 9 grand, about 10 if I want eps, plus fees of course. The Teryx has more power but the speed is limited to about 50 mph, or about the same top speed as the Viking and Wolverine. I'd even consider the Kymco 450i utv if I were to buy new, I've seen them under 8 grand brand new. I like the smaller size of the 450i and its almost as fast as those other 3. That 450 engine is pretty peppy for its size.
450i, keep up with a Teryx or wolverine? Hard to believe considering it makes 20 less hp, is down 250 cc's and doesn't weigh all that much less than either of the 700s lol.

9 grand for a Wolverine, even without powersteering seems like a great deal and there is probably a little wiggle room in there as well. If I didn't have such a loaded garage (and barn) already, I'd definelty consider it, although I wish it was a 50"er

Old 03-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaR24
450i, keep up with a Teryx or wolverine? Hard to believe considering it makes 20 less hp, is down 250 cc's and doesn't weigh all that much less than either of the 700s lol.

9 grand for a Wolverine, even without powersteering seems like a great deal and there is probably a little wiggle room in there as well. If I didn't have such a loaded garage (and barn) already, I'd definelty consider it, although I wish it was a 50"er

A lot depends on gearing, the 450i does just 48mph with one large adult or two smaller adults, cant say for sure on the other UTV's. I will say the 450i will out drag race most other 500 cc UTV's up to 35-40 mph. Finding 50" machines is getting difficult, everyone wants bigger and wider for stability. Look how many people buy a narrow machine then add wheel spacers to widen the stance?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With stock cdii and clutching 50 mph or so is where speedlimiter kicks in. Prob a little quicker than the 450i but not much faster. The 450i is much lighter too so makes up for some of diffin power.
​​​​​​​

Old 03-13-2017, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

With stock cdii and clutching 50 mph or so is where speedlimiter kicks in. Prob a little quicker than the 450i but not much faster. The 450i is much lighter too so makes up for some of diffin power.
​​​​​​​
Top speed I could see being close, that is all depending on what the manufacturer decides to set the governor to but the 150 pound difference is definetly not enough to make up for the time it takes to get there. I'd say in 300ft, the difference would probably be well more than a few UTV lengths. My pioneer 500 weighs over 300lbs less than the 700-5 pioneer, with only 5hp less and and a top speed within 3mph of eachother it still can't accelerate quite as quickly. Despite what the peak HP is, a smaller engine will never have the low end power that a larger engine possesses, which is what gets you moving to begin with.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

​​​​​​​
Top speed I could see being close, that is all depending on what the manufacturer decides to set the governor to but the 150 or so pound difference is definetly not enough to make up for the time it takes to get there. I'd say in 300ft, the difference would probably be well more than a few UTV lengths. My pioneer 500 weighs over 300lbs less than the 700-5 pioneer, with only 5hp less and and a top speed within 3mph of eachother it still can't accelerate quite as quickly. Despite what the peak HP is, a smaller engine will never have the low end power that a larger engine possesses, which is what gets you moving to begin with.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
A lot depends on gearing, the 450i does just 48mph with one large adult or two smaller adults, cant say for sure on the other UTV's. I will say the 450i will out drag race most other 500 cc UTV's up to 35-40 mph. Finding 50" machines is getting difficult, everyone wants bigger and wider for stability. Look how many people buy a narrow machine then add wheel spacers to widen the stance?
The trails on my property and the surrounding area are mostly single track with lots of sweeping turns and rocky obstacles , larger machines may fit thru some sections but anything over 52" is pushing it. My friend came over last fall with his new Roll frame/Duncan engine 250r that sits about 51" wide. He was OK most of the time but there were a few sections where my 48" 700xx was able to leave him in the dust due to width alone (having more power helped too lol). My pioneer 500 sits at about 52" wide now with 26" tires and I think I'd be disappointed driving thru singled track trails if it was any wider.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I definitely see the pros of the narrower machines. The trails I ride on nearby are a mix of tight trails an atv can barely make it through and stuff a 4 seater utv can easily fit through. It used to be all atv trails until a few years ago the utvs started widening the trails. Its like that at all the local atv parks as well. None of them used to allow utvs until a few years ago. They had to widen their trails or people would simply quit going there. The bigger parks like Land Between the Lakes down in Kentucky have had wide trails for years because they allowed full size trucks and buggies. No need to widen trails for utvs because they were already plenty wide enough.