Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2000 400ex Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 400ex Not Starting

Hello, so I just stripped down my 400ex with a 440 big bore kit down to replace the shift rod. After getting everything back together I went to start it up and it was running at around 3500 rpm so I tried adjusting idle speed and that did nothing. After that I thought it was weird so I stripped the head off and realized that the timing was way off. I went to put the timing in line but now it wont fire at all. Im not sure if Im doing something wrong or what, but it is acting like the valves are stuck open. It has spark, fuel, but the air on the exhaust and the carb is just pulsing and not just creating vacuum on the carb or blowing on the exhaust. After playing with it for a while we adjusted the rocker arms and set them to the specs that the manual said to do so .004" for the intake and .005" for the exhaust. That did nothing for me. I read online how to time it and it said to put it on TDC which I did and double checked it by sticking a screwdriver in there. Then I lined up the lines on the cam gear flat with the head, then I pointed the lobes down. If I am doing anything wrong please help!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well found the problem... apparently when I first turned it over timing was over and exhaust valves knocked the piston and well pistons fine, but the valves are done.