Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Ruby has serious grinding noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had my ruby for 5weeks. I have 460kms on it,and just before i got home one day it started making a loud grinding noise.It would make the noise when going slow,coasting,and going up a hill and letting it roll backwards slowly. it also felt like the transmission slipped once when i nailed the gas from a dead stop.The ruby will make those noises in any mode.Also once in awhile the bike would backfire and miss like it had a revelimiter on it.

so i loaded it up and took it to the dealer over a week ago. They told me that they called honda and they said that one of my problems {missing and backfireing} could be fixed just by putting grease in all of the electrical connections.Honda told my dealer that a few bikes left the plant without that being done at the factory.My dealer greased all the connections,and said that problem is fixed
Honda told my dealer that the other problem,with the grinding,is very rare.My bike is the second one in Canada,to make this noise. The other one is supposed to be out west.Honda also told my dealer not to start taking my bike apart,untill they find out what is wrong with the one out west first.Honda is saying that the noise is definatly not in the transmission,or front and rear differantls,or engine. They think that the noise may be related to the clutch not freewhelling when it is supposed to

Any help,suggestions,or ideas would be greatly be appritated.
I would also like to call honda myself to see about getting a new Ruby and give them mine for a ginnypig.
If anyone has an 800# that they could give me for Honda,would be very helpful!!
Thanks!!
I will keep you posted on what they find and how i make out

SWAMPDONKY
Bikeless for now!!

Old 04-18-2001, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just an update.
Honda now has told my dealer that they think that a bearing may have failed in the transmission,and that they will get one to my dealer [asap].In the meantime they are giving me their ruby demo.I'll make another update when i get my bike and new transmission back on the trail!!

500ruby dealer demo
SWAMPDONKY

Old 04-19-2001, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for giving us the info. I was a little concerned about the new tranny myself. Really just because it's new... Where are the electrical fittings that they 'greased'? WD40??

Thanks,

Chris

Old 04-19-2001, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

The tranny is not new. Honda has been using it since 1962. It has also been used in tractors for years.

Old 04-21-2001, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, my lawnmower uses a similar hydrostatic transmission, and didn't Honda use the transmission in one of their old scooters?

On a side note, does the Rubicon's tranny make that same whining noise that my lawnmower makes when you hit the gas hard?

Old 04-24-2001, 07:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Crice
TEX MUD is right about the tranny.
My dealer greased all connections with waterproof grease.Thanks for replying.
Campy
my Ruby does have a small wining noise but only when going fast.I once owned a Yamaha 600Griz,and in my opinion a belt driven atv wines louder.Thanks forreplying.

Old 04-24-2001, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

About this Whining sound you guys are talking about.... Mine has kind of a vibrating noise it makes when riding. Kind of a metal on metal sound. Is this the noise you guys are hearing?? Anybody elses make this noise?? I kinda think it may be the heat shield on the exhaust pipe on the left hand side behind cover. But I've got the airbox off right now siliconing the intake hose & haven't been able to test my theory. Any ideas???

Old 04-25-2001, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

N2Mountains,

I have the same vibrating noise you do. It seems like the noise is louder when the bike is cold. I thought the same thing, that it might be a heat shield of some sort because thats exactly what it sounds like. I put the Rubi in neutral and reved the motor trying to find where it's coming from but I don't see anything vibrating, although I haven't checked the exhaust as of yet. I would love to find out whats causing this because it's annoying as hell! I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Old 04-25-2001, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Gentlemen there have been posts in the past about the heat shield rattling. Do some searching in this forum for the fix. I think it was just one screw.

Old 04-25-2001, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input guys.
Hey Texmud I was at your website the other day. neat place

Quick Reply: Ruby has serious grinding noise!!!