Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman TRX450 ES low gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman TRX450 ES low gear problem

hello all
first time buyer trying my best to get a beat up 4wheeler working better. The electric shift works well throughout the gears but shifts hard and jolts the machine pretty good in first and second sending the handle bars at me with considerable force. No problems going up through the gears. Then when coming down first and neutral are really hard to get into and second is 80% available. If I keep trying or rock the machine back and forth a bit it might go in. As a last resort if I shut off the machine it will go back into N for a restart without too much difficulty and maybe a rock back and forth. Is this fixable? Is there an adjustment I can make? I would like to fix both the gear dropping and the handlebar jolting as well if possible.
any info is appreciated.
thanks in advance.

the new guy.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 343 Likes on 334 Posts

Adjust the clutch. Also you should always go up and down the box with the machine on the move. They all need rocking to get them to change if the bike is stationary. As with all manual gearboxes the revs need to be right for a smooth gearchange.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Merriman but...

if it is lurching going from neutral into first gear, does that mean the RPM's are too high on idle? That's the only understanding I can get from your explanation. Unless the electric shift has a clutch adjustment somewhere I am unaware of.
please elaborate. Thanks

Old 05-22-2017, 02:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 343 Likes on 334 Posts

"if it is lurching going from neutral into first gear, does that mean the RPM's are too high on idle" Yes, or the centrifugal clutch is stuck.

The machine has two clutches, a centrifugal one for setting off in first or reverse, and a conventional motorcycle multiplate clutch. The conventional one is operated by the gearchange pedal, as you start to move it, the clutch disengages, then it gets far enough to change gear. As you lift your foot off, the clutch re-engages. On an ES all this is done by the electric motor. An adjuster is on the clutch cover, slacken the locknut, turn the adjuster anti-clockwise until "resistance is felt" then back off 1/4 turn. Tighten the locknut.