Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 Honda Foreman losing fuel and idling high.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Honda Foreman losing fuel and idling high.

hello all, I have a 2005 Honda Foreman 500 and I recently had some issues with the top end. The bolts holding the top end on the motor came loose so I had to replace the whole top end. Prior to this it ran fine no fuel issues or overheating issues, the fan kicked on like it was suppose to and everything. Now it still runs, but it idles really high and it is loosing fuel somewhere and I can't find where, for example I can fill up the tank and park it and go back a few day later and the tank will be empty. If I fill up the tank and run it, it burns through the fuel way to fast. It also smokes from around the motor when the engine gets hots, I've grounded the fan it works and I've changed the oil temp sensor but the fan still doesn't kick on when the engine gets hot and starts smoking. Any ideas what to check or adjust next would be appreciated.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Things that I would check, the float height in the carburetor, and make sure the viton seal on the float needle is seating. If it is water cooled, make sure there is no air lock, maybe even check the function of the thermostat. You say that you retightened everything, but I would probably replace the head gasket, at least. Also, does it have a fuel shut off? I'd turn it off, until fixed, if nothing but for fire danger.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input, that will give me some good ground to start on at least, and hopefully one of those things will be the culprit.