Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2004 honda fourtrax 400 burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 honda fourtrax 400 burning oil

I have a fourtrax that's burning oil, all the time. I'm looking into rebuild kits, is there any that others have used and would recommend or is the kit you can buy on eBay sufficient. It has 3500km. Is the timing chain common to failure or reusable?

Also what I've read is that the trx and the fourtrax 400 are the same engine, is that correct?

Old 06-30-2017, 02:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

If you are referring to the TRX400 EX no, it isn't the same engine. Yours is a pushrod engine, never heard of a "rebuild kit" for it. You need a head gasket set. The only way to check what else you need is to take the cylinder off, and measure it and the piston for wear. If only the rings are worn, you just need new rings, if the bore is oversize or badly scored, you need a rebore and bigger piston & rings. Fit new valve guide seals, which are in the gasket set. The timing chain should be OK at 3500km, (but so should the bore) and you would need to strip part of the "bottom end" to fit a new one anyway.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I've searched my Vin it comes up with a trx 400. My stickers on the quad say fourtrax.

Anyone have a manual or know where to get one? Other then the dealer. I found one for my Kodiak but can't seem to find a downloadable version for this honda.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Honda used the TRX lettering for lots of Quads, it doesn't mean much. It is the letters after the 400, in the case of the Fourtrax Auto, 400FA that indicate what model it is. They were not popular, as Honda sent the first batch out with faulty ECUs for the gearbox, they did a recall and the gearbox was dead reliable afterwards but had, by then, got the reputation for over-complex and unreliable electronics, which hurt sales. I doubt if anyone but Honda bothered to make a manual for it. The frame and plastics seem to be from the 350FM.