Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

4x4 issues on 05 Ruby

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4x4 issues on 05 Ruby

Sorry, been a while since I was around, been working on some land with old Yeller since May and he has performed flawlessly for the most part.

Today while hauling a Seadoo out of the water on a grade while in low I am fairly certain I hear a crunchs in the front. Afterward the bikes 4x4 does not seem to be working. When I flick the 2 to 4 wheel drive switch the light comes on but very little to no tourque to the front. I put myself in a rough spot for 2 wheel drive but 4 wheel should have taken me out no issue and it would not. Repeated with the right front off the ground a bit, applied some front break and the tire will turn but seems to have little power.

What do you think is wrong?

Old 08-14-2017, 01:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Most likely cause of 4WD problems on Hondas is the splines gone on the propellor shaft between engine and front diff. Not sure about 500AT, but most have two "muff couplings" and the splines on either can go, so you need to dismantle before knowing if you just need a coupling or a coupling and shaft. Safe way to check, left handbrake on, jack front off the ground. Start engine, engage 4WD, turn front wheel by hand, if the opposite wheel turns backwards, the drive is probably OK, if it turns the same way, check if the prop shaft is turning as you turn the wheel and, if it is, if the muff coupling between shaft and engine, is turning too.