Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2001 foreman es. Oh course shift issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 foreman es. Oh course shift issue

I have a 2001, foreman es, rode it on Saturday, everything worked great, moved it Tuesday, I have nothing at shift buttons. I replaced angle sensor maybe 2
Months ago, I've had a retired tech look at it, according to him, everything checks fine, we swapped out the module, no change, I've ohm all wires that I been able to find and follow the service manual. Again everything checks out fine. I pulled angle sensor back off it only registered 3.6 ohms, everything I've read says low should be 500, but I have no click, no sound what so ever, when I changed the angle sensor, also went through shift motor, cleaned brushes, new grease,everything. I've ohm, voltage test every single wire, I don't know where else to go. Plz help soon. Thank you, oh I also went through shift control buttons, and for the heck of it I put a new gel style battery on it as well. I'm at a total loss !!

Old 09-11-2017, 02:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

If I remember rightly, the Manual gives a test sequence and tells you what is wrong if everything tests out right. Do not assume the motor is still OK as a magnet can come off and jam it anytime. Do not assume your new angle sensor must be OK, even genuine Honda can be faulty, in fact they fitted a batch with "made in Mexico" on them a few years ago that gave no end of problems, some got into the parts system, though dealers should know better than to fit them, or sell them on.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 foreman es issues

Your completely right, I work for a Chevrolet Dealership, we get bad parts sometimes. All the test in manual have came back fine, unless I messed something, and the retired Honda tech missed it as well, I decided to try the adjustment on clutch over the weekend, I don't know if this might be a part of this issue or not, but the adjustment nut and screw are froze up, after finally so wore out at midnight Saturday night, I give up on taking front cover off, got up yesterday morning, got it off at noon. Going to order those parts today, found wiring harnesses on eBay, which I'm not one to buy used parts, but $60 vs $180. The tech that looked at it for me, says it's got to be in wiring, by no means I'm definitely not a Honda tech, I feel it's a speed sensor and clutch adjustment issue. Before I tore it down Saturday I did manual shift and rode it maybe 1 mile, it just didn't feel right when shifting. Also on display it would show rev, neutral, 1st, then when changed to 2nd gear it showed--, 3rd --, 4th --, 5th gear it would show 5th not the dashes. While he had it he swapped the module out with another one, still made no changes, also the guy that had it before me has put a toggle switch on the electric fan, so some of the wiring is jacked up. On other hand, every wire that I checked ohms were ok, voltage was good, so I don't know. I did find a single blue wire taped up laying under main headlight, not connected anyway, been that way for ages, I just don't understand how it could work great on Saturday, then go to move it Tuesday and electric shift, not work. Oh and also on Saturday when I re ohm the angle sensor, 3.4 is all I could get on it, everywhere I see on internet, low ohm is supposed to be 4.25

Old 09-12-2017, 02:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

If you can change with the emergency lever the fault won't be inside the clutch housing unless it is something weird. I did have a later 350 that kept giving angle sensor fault codes (yours is too early to have the fault code system) after changing 3 sensors I found the end of the shaft that moves the angle sensor had broken off. Game over for that ES system, as fitting a new shaft involves removal of the rear engine cases, we fitted a manual shift conversion instead. Lets hope your used wiring loom is for the early type ES or it won't be compatible with the ECU. Brown wiring plugs on one and blue plugs on the other, I think.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The angle sensor should be about 5000 ohms, but 4000-6000 is still good
(across blu/grn to blk/red). Blu/grn to Yel/red should be half that,
or about 2500 ohms, and turning it in up direction should be 2000 ohms
or less, and up direction should be 3000 ohms or more.

Your reading of 3400 ohms is low but could still work because the ECU
looks at the voltage change on the Yel/red wire.

Another post suggested the ECU sometimes malfunctions due to a
weak ground connection. He fixed the problem by adding an extra
ground wire tapped into the blu/grn wire (use a Tap Connector to
leave the blu/grn wire intact). This wire goes to the common ground
of the ECU.

The other option is to bypass the ECU with relays like I did. See the post
called: Eliminate ES shift problems & retain functionality. This fix will
still lose the gear 2,3,4 indications on the display.