Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

she running much better now. And yes the exhaust gasket fell out on the ground. I didn’t notice it till after but it’s in now.

took for for a little spin. Still got some minor issues that need tending. Prob have a drive shaft I need to replace. And will get an oil change along with new lube in the diffs soon. Have the plastics off and redoing them with some fusion paint. Should be looking good soon. 😃😃😃

Old 11-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I thought I was coming into the home stretch with this bike. I inspected the front axles and decided to go ahead and replace both of them. As I was pulling the old shaft on the left side the old wheel bearing decided to fall out of the bike.

Looks like i need need to order some wheel bearings also. 🤣

Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

A shame to see a good piece of equipment let go to waste, lots of luck getting her up and running. In the boating world there is a saying that might apply here as well..." the most expensive boat you can get is one that is free".....

Old 11-15-2017, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
A shame to see a good piece of equipment let go to waste, lots of luck getting her up and running. In the boating world there is a saying that might apply here as well..." the most expensive boat you can get is one that is free".....

indeed! I hope it doesn’t turn into that other saying about the meaning of the word boat—— Bust Out Another Thousand!!!! In all honesty I really can not complain, all told I’m still a good bit less than 500 into this project (new carb, jug, piston, head and valves, new cv axles and bearings as well as oil filter and oil for both crankcase and differentials).

In my area these bikes go for around the 2 k mark in barely running condition. I’m happy to do the work myself and know it’s gonna be fixed correctly! If I end up not loving it will be able to sell it easy enough.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay wheel bearings installed, had some shifting problems but followed various posts which detailed cleaning and servicing the shift motor, and then also adjusting the clutch. The machine now reliably runs through all gears.

Also so got the plastics all spruced up and back on. This thing is starting to look pretty good.

Took her her out for a test spin of around 2 miles and I still have one other problem. I’m not sure exactly what’s causing the problem so will give my thoughts and then need some help in pinpointing the problem.

The bike seems to have very low power / torque until it begins to pick up speed. Basically in first and to some extent second gear until bike is rolling along pretty good it seems dramatically underpowered. (If you really mash the gas hard it does quickly do what it should) When you do get rolling the bike hits a point where it’s performing very well.

I don’t feel that this is fuel or carb related as it’s a brand new carb and the bike idles and rev’s fine ( no backfiring etc).

My gut is telling me that this is some sort of issue with centrifugal clutch (as its all occurring at only very low speeds)

But, my gut has been wrong plenty of times before. 😃

I’ll take some video of the problem in the morning and post it up to see if that helps to diagnose things. Fair warning the muffler is pretty rotted out so it’s gonna be a pretty noisy video. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Some videos

here are some videos of current state of repair.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Of it running

Old 11-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Another

Old 11-29-2017, 07:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

So it turns out that both rear tires had about 2 gallons of muddy water inside the tire. This caused the bike to feel very sluggish at slow speed and also caused for some odd steering and feel at higher speeds.

Im looking forward to getting some time in on the bike now... Still a few more small projects to knock out.

1) find an acceptable substitute for the rapidly disintegrating front bumpers (kind of like the garden edging i used on the rear bumpers but not sure if that will hold up for any amount of time.
2) rework the brake system, either do a rebuild of the drum systems on the bike (which are completely borked right now) or switch out to a disc style system.
3) find a new storage box / or box lid for the back of the bike.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Top speed?

Whats the top speed