Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Worth it?

Old 10-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth it?

Was basically just gifted a 2002 rancher es. Model Trx 350 FE.

Its has has basically been left out in the Louisiana weather. So it’s not in the best shape. But. It does crank and run. Doesn’t smoke at all. Right now I’m thinking put a new carb on it. Change all the fluids. Brand new gas and see how it does. I’m a bit worried about some of the engine noises I am hearing though. Wondering what y’all think these noises might be.

Here is video with it running. Looking for opinions on where the problems are most likely at.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Free is a good price. I'd try adjusting the valves, first. Hard to say where the rapping is coming from the video, could be simple and cheap, could need a rebuild. Still it's a good bike worth fixing, I'd think. There is always the dealer, if you can't find the answer.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks hydrex, I agree free is good 👍

talking with a buddy and he thought that I should check to see if there was an exhaust leak near the head first. Then check valves. Then move on to a check of the top end with a full on rebuild of the bottom being the final option.

Hope to turn it back into a good running regular use atv that will be babied in the future.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Try adjusting the valves, but a common fault with the 350 is a valve seat coming loose and that sounds a lot like a loose seat. Also have had soft pushrods, check the ball bearings are the same height on both rods if you do strip the engine's top end.

Why fit a new carb? It starts and runs fine on the one it has. Check if you can see the speedo numbers with the lights on, the clouded glass is just that, just a plastic cover in front of the actual speedo and can be replaced, though Honda used several different ones on the 350, they look identical, but the wrong one won't fit on the speedo. Taking the speedo to the dealer and asking for "a glass that fits that" is about the only way to get the right one.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Merryman, I will have a close look at those valve seats when I’m checking the valves and pulling the head.

Good point about the carb, may just end up being a carb cleaning job rather than a replacement.

I have looked past the frosted glass to the actual speedo and can not see anything on the screen. So it may indeed be a goner. From what I have found this is about a 150$ part with it being very specific to my particular bikes model. If I can get away without it I may just leave it as is.

Am quite happy that there is a community here to ask question of as I tackle this.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

eBay is your friend. I've owned a couple of older Arctic Cats that were totally abused. Was able to find 90% thru eBay, the rest from the dealer. Always clean and inspect the carb on any bike that has been sitting, with ethanol gas at least. I would also remove gas tank, fill half full, dump it into a clan 5 gallon bucket, see what comes out. 1 of my Cats , the owner let it set outside with the cover off the tank, what a mess of leaves, dirt, etc. Also put an inline gas filter between the tank and carburetor. Those little carburetors are fussy for dirt.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update

With the help of a good friend we pulled the top end off the engine last night. We noted the following issues.

1) one of the bolts holding the exhaust header to the jug was not fully torqued down. And there were some physical signs of exhaust gases blowing out in that area (carbon deposits etc)

2) Upon pulling the valve head we noted that one of the valves looked pristine while the other looked pretty crispy. It didnt seem that either one had a loose valve seat

3) After pulling the jug and piston we noticed that there seemed to be some very minor scaring / scratching on the jug, and that the piston also seemed to have some minor scarring on its sides. Additionally upon first inspection we thought that the piston might possibly have a hairline crack in it... but after looking at it really close we are not sure if its a hairline crack or just a long scratch.

4) the connection between the piston rod and the crankshaft seemed to be solid and within specs... (some very minor side to side play but no real up and down play)

if its helpful i can update this thread later with pictures of the above for everyone to have a look at.

Since nothing stood out to us as being obvious issues (other than the exhaust leak), and since we had already completely dissassembled the top end, and since the parts to make it all new again are so cheap. We are going to go ahead and put in a brand new Jug and Piston, as well as a new valve head on the bike. This along with a new exhaust header gasket should bring the bike straight back to a fresh from the factory runner.

The only other items on the bike that are going to be in need of attention is the front brake system needs a rebuild, and rehab work on the plastics.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no other gremlins present themselves in the meantime.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Pro Rider

Even if you don't like the bike, by making it look and run good, you will be able to sell it for a nice profit. For a gauge, check out the Trail Tech Vapor or Voyager.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hydrex
Even if you don't like the bike, by making it look and run good, you will be able to sell it for a nice profit. For a gauge, check out the Trail Tech Vapor or Voyager.
I like the way you think 👍

I was looking at the trail tech stuff. Do the do all the functions that the original Honda speedo does. Have the neutral and reverse lights etc? Are they just a straight replacement of the Honda oem?

Old 11-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay all the parts are in hoping to get it put back together and working properly tommorrow.

Search this Thread