Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

05 Recon ES

Old 11-05-2017, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Recon ES

Hello all,
New here from Atlanta. Looking forward to some great info and being able to contribute.
I am no stranger to ATVs and small engine work but recently made a blind purchase on an 05 Recon ES 250 and looking for some direction.
I bought this machine from a buddy who had dropped it off at a local small engine shop three years ago due to electric shift issues. My understanding is that the mechanic replaced everything related to the ES and it still didn't work so the machine was left there untouched until I picked it up Friday.
Out of the gate I am looking at a carb rebuild and battery replacement at least. Any suggestions on anything else to consider? I am not very familiar with Honda as I have owned polaris and Kawasaki the last 15 years.
As far as the ES goes a friend suggest that the angle sensor was likely the culprit and would be a good place to start. Sadly all i have to work with is what the mechanic told me. He said that the handlebar control was replaced along with the controller and electric motor.
I also have a few cosmetic issues and hub problems to fix. The previous owner put what appears to be larger yamaha wheels on and it seems the studs were to small and have wallered out the wheels and damaged the studs. Anyone have any parts they want to sale? They also cut the majority of the foot wheels out for tire clearance and I want to replace these as well.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 11-05-2017, 02:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Fairly sure that an 05 will have the morse code fault finding system for ES faults. Yes, the angle sensor is one of the most common electrical faults on the ES system, but check that you can change OK with the emergency lever, as mechanical selector problems are also common on ES systems, the electric motor set up seems to over-stress the components more than foot change, so if you can't change by hand, you have a mechanical problem.

Rear brake pivots are often seized after a long lay up, and front brake adjusters are almost always seized when you come to adjust them.

As you need quite a few bits, finding a breaker with a circa 05 250 Recon in, will be the cheapest way to get yours back to standard. The plastics are held by wire stays, those big wheels may have wiped the rear stays out too.