Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Longer A-Arms / Swing arm.... WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What will longer A-arms and Swing-arm do for the ride? I imagine it will give the bike more travel as well as a lower stance (less tipping). But what does longer travel mean?... softer landings off of jumps? Are there any other riding enhancements that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks

Old 04-20-2001, 10:45 AM
Range Rover

I'm not a sports quad man, so I don't really know about it either.

My guess is that longer A-arms give the front a wider stance, should really help in fast tight curves. Longer swing arm, keep the front end from coming up as easy and keep the front tires planted on the ground more. I could see a longer swing arm helping in cornering too, but thats only from experience with cars, longer cars are harder to spin around most of the time.

Old 04-20-2001, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Generally speaking, wider machines handle better because they are more stable. You can corner harder without the fear of bicycling, go faster through rough terrain becouse if you get "squirrely" the machine won't tip as easily, and perfect landings from jumps is less importang for the same reason. Usually, wider a-arms means new and better shocks at the same time.
As for making a machine's wheelbase(length) longer or shorter is dependent on what machine and what type of riding you are doing. For instance, Banshee's respond well to a -1 inch shorter swingarm. This helps them "hook up" better and makes them turn a little sharper. However, in the dunes or drag racing, most Banshees use a longer rear swingarm as paddle tires give incredible traction and they need the longer swingarm to keep from looping out.

Old 04-20-2001, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

For me...I made these changes for various reasons.
In my opinion...My bike (banshee) in stock form felt very nose heavy, and did not track well over ruff and bumpy terrain.
I ordered a-arms that were 1 inch forward and 2 inches wider. That allowed for the use of better suspension. and brought the front end forward an inch. Then I went to the swingarm and ordered a minus one inch.(as mentioned above)
In affect..this changed the ergonomics of the bike. Putting me right where I needed to be for my riding style.. Allowing me to control things a bit better.
The bike is not nose heavy any longer. No more fears on big jumps that would normally make me cringe. And the suspension just plain works now. I can hammer through the whoops so much faster.
People change these things for many reasons (as mentioned). I no longer feel like the bike is going to go up on 2 wheels when I take a hard turn.
I will say that the set up is really determined by what type of riding you do most....For me moto cross style and trails. I have no dunes near me.